Now That Donald Trump Has Lost

Deleted this post, it’s likely to be a spoof/ parody using audio from a previous interview.

Sorry.

It could be, but it’s just as likely to be an impersonator, or someone else who just talks like him. Humans tend to pick up speech patterns from people they talk to a lot. I’ll always remember that time in college where we all got infected with cave man talk because we used it for trading in Catan. I have no doubt that many Trump supporters who spend a lot of time listening to him have also started to sound like him without even realizing it.

It’s a fake, but it is Trump. It’s pitched down and slightly slowed audio from one of his speeches dubbed over the actual Fox clip. It sounds like a pretty standard pitch-down filter, and you can hear the pitched and slowed audio of DSLRs going off regularly in the background.

1 Like

If I ever run a big social network, I’m hiring Captain Disillusion to stop shit like this.

No arguments here, I like to think I’ve been quite clear up to now about about how much I enjoy the D.

They should hire the team at Apple who makes the keynote videos to make an inauguration video.

1 Like

It’s genuinely embarrassing that our own government has problems like this

I’m hoping that he misspoke, due to having to hold the hand and soothe the temper of a giant, orange baby. Notice how he kind of catches himself after he says the bit about Trump, and it shifts to “the president at one minute after noon on inauguration day.” McConnell has said similar slippery things about fraudulent votes, like “well, if there’s evidence of fraud, he has every right to pursue it.” Just general, noncommittal bs. It’s extremely concerning that a lot of the attitude and bluster revolves around bUt TrUmP wOn, but hopefully it’s just bluster and slimy politician stuff.

That’s not to say that we should give either one of them benefit of the doubt; this is probably just me trying to convince myself that the SecState didn’t just outright say that they are throwing a coup-party and the US is invited.

I’m in GA, and no matter how many times I email Loeffler or Perdue, it’s always a stock “thank you for your interest, but…blah, blah bootlicking.” Everyone should donate to Warnock and Ossof if you can; Biden can’t do anything if the Senate is obstructionist. If McConnell is SML, there’s nothing that indicates he won’t be as huge of a pain in the ass as he was to Obama during a Biden presidency.

2 Likes
1 Like

Well, it’s time to shorten the transition period… again. Telecommunications have improved, no reason to wait until January 20.

Trivia from the Library of Congress:

The Constitution of the United States had established March 4 as Inauguration Day in order to allow enough time after Election Day for officials to gather election returns and for newly-elected candidates to travel to the capital. With modern advances in communication and transportation, the lengthy transition period proved unnecessary and legislators pressed for change. The date was moved to January 20 with the passage of the Twentieth Amendment in 1933.

Let’s not forget James Buchanan secured his place as one of the worst Presidents by letting the Secession Crisis fester for months after Lincoln’s 1860 victory. Months of delay are unacceptable.

We’ll need a whole raft of legislation (bye-bye, political capital…) just to deal with Trump rampaging through fragile honor systems. I believe Biden divulged his tax returns, but clearly the incentive to do so is gone, now. By 2024, that has to be mandatory.

1 Like

Pennsylvania has conceded to Trump.

I enjoy that they allowed ballots already not counted to be thrown out. Seems in line with all other Trump “successes”.

1 Like

Thing is, this didn’t feel like that much of a stretch to make the crazy evident. It is almost what American media is writing un-ironically.

EDIT: lol

2 Likes

Are you really surprised?

EDIT:

Not even 2 minutes later…

I don’t really agree with this, but expect to see a lot more articles like this in the near future:

I’m of the opinion that the Biden admin should be focused on codifying norms and passing anti-corruption measures and if folks did violate the law let that process roll on but not aggressively go after Trump because a large amount of what he did wasn’t law breaking as it was norm breaking. So focusing on fixing the system so it’s not as easy to be abused seems more important than taking heads.

I bet most people were surprised what was or wasn’t illegal for the President to do prior to Trump.

That said still looking forward to New York sticking it to him for tax avoidance.

4 Likes

There are already a lot of articles like this. One is too many.

The only question is, do we want to restore the rule of law, or do we want to give up and admit presidents can be above the law? A pardon completely ruins any chance of the former.

It’s been heavily discussed how a lot of the limits on government that were treated like laws were just norms, and Trump ignored as many as he felt like. Those norms were largely good and should be enshrined in law and enforced.

What hasn’t been discussed as much were bad norms. There are arguments to be made that just about every president in our history, including the best ones, are criminals, war criminals even. The norm was to let them mostly get away with stuff.

For example, a drone strike kills one or more civilians. We can look at each and every strike to determine if it was a legal or justified action. The point is, if civilians were killed the standard should have been set that at bare minimum there is a war crimes investigation and the president is put on trial at the Hague for each and every incident. If found not guilty, ok, found not guilty. But the dead at least deserve that much. We didn’t do that. Instead, we did nothing. We just let presidents get away with all sorts of things.

That “do nothing” on previous presidents opened the door to let Trump get away with everything. If we had instead had the norm of not letting any previous president get away with even the appearance of the smallest wrongdoing, Trump would have been stopped way back in the times of his travel ban, if not earlier.

The standard should have been set such that the president is responsible and held accountable for every single thing, and should face real consequences for even the smallest fuck-ups. That way anyone who has bad intentions would not even have the smallest desire to become president in the first place. People in general should be afraid to be president. As a balance against the thrill of extreme executive power, the president should be imagining the jail cell that is waiting for them at all times.

The precedent of pardoning Nixon was already a huge fuck-up. That specifically opened the door for Trump and others. We have an opportunity to at least partially close that door, and make Trump the example for future presidents. Even if another evil Republican gets elected they’ll say “fuck, I don’t want to rot in prison with Donnie” and stay within the lines.

2 Likes