Notable Deaths

While I was away:

It always surprises me when people think the Mets won the 1986 World Series as a result of Bucknerā€™s error. They didnā€™t. They won Game 6 because of Bucknerā€™s error. If the Red Sox had won Game 7, no one would remember Bucknerā€™s error and the Red Sox would have been the 1986 World Series Champions.

Yes, and no. If he doesnā€™t make the error, there is no game 7.

Also, itā€™s a great example of how hyperlocal baseball is compared to other sports.

Think of another famous flubber, Scott Norwood. One missed kick. Career over. Never played anywhere ever again. Even people outside Buffalo and NY know wide right.

Buckner, despite that major goof, is still beloved in the other places he played like Chicago. He also played many years after the error. Part of this is because hew as actually a really good player, but also because more than any other pro US sport, people only pay attention to their own team in baseball.

1 Like

True, but many people believe that Bucknerā€™s error actually caused the Mets to win the World Series, when it didnā€™t.

Yes, if Buckner didnā€™t make the mistake, Boston would have won the series right then, but everyone forgets that there was another game after his error. Everyone forgets about Game 7 and just associates his error with the Mets winning the World Series.

Lee Iacocca. Didnā€™t realize he was still alive.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/2019/07/02/f9abc080-da34-11e0-9dca-a4d231dfde50_story.html

Mad Magazine

3 Likes

Itā€™s funny. I havenā€™t read Mad Magazine in years. I havenā€™t even really thought of it in years. Yet it still really stung reading that itā€™s pretty much finished.

1 Like
2 Likes

3 Likes
1 Like

TFW you make your life as one of the best at the very deadly sport of boxing and die by car.

#bancars

Car almost hit me on my run Saturday. Just blew through a red light in Queens. I jumped out of the way (no contact), and he separately skidded to a stop.

Before he could leave, I gave him a nice dent in his hood courtesy of my closed fist. He booked it when I got my phone out to start documenting what happened.

Didnā€™t actually get a photo of his license plate, or I would have made a report.

Nobody but me is gonna care but iNcontroL

I thought it was a fucking joke.

This fucker beat my ass as his offrace at PAX. Was much bigger in person than youā€™d have expected and could bench 400+ lbs. I canā€™t believe heā€™s gone. He streamed like a few days ago. He was like Rym and Scottā€™s age. I have no idea what can kill a monster of a man like him in a few days.

Poison. Previously undetected late stage cancer. Meningitis. Untreated appendicitis. Heart attack. Stroke. Human bodies are too fragile.

Edit: seems likely to have been an infection of some kind. Also he was 33, 4 years younger than us.

The details arenā€™t likeā€¦ public yet. Iā€™ve seen speculation it was staph, also seen speculation that it was related to a clotting issue heā€™s had before, and speculation that it was related to whatever it was that kept him in the ER for dreamhack. We simply donā€™t know right now.

Also I saw that he was 33. Yeah, heā€™s younger than yā€™all and older than me.

He really was a beast, a friend of mine didnā€™t believe he could bench 400+, then I showed him the video

This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

Year older than me. Damn. Poor bastard.

I was just watching some of my favourite clips of his and just enjoying how charismatic and intelligent he was. Admittedly even going back and watching those clips now sorta make me remember how juvenile I was back then. Stillā€¦

When I played him at pax a friend of mine was before me in the makeshift queue, the whole thing being a fairly informal affair. Geoff was chatting with fans and just generally hanging out and laughing as my friend tryharded a 4 gate at him as iNcontroL was fucking around with like a weird mass immortal build that made no sense indicating that he was just fucking around.

When the timing push came he just leaned around the monitor with like a smirking ā€œreally?ā€ look. This is why when I came up next he decided no mercy and let me pick what race he was gonna beat me with.