Non-anime Animation News

I like Futurama, but seriously. Just let things end please.

They had the right idea with the direct to video movies, which is what Adventure Time is doing on HBO Max. Just keep going with that. Just a little movie once in awhile. Going for full-on seasons has such a low chance of being good.

1 Like

I didn’t think the Comedy Central revival was all that bad, honestly.
No John DiMaggio, though… Oof.

Nice! Megamind is a great Dreamworks movie and I’m glad it’s coming back!

1 Like

The Boys Presents: Diabolical
Since I was at home with a wicked hangover yesterday, I ended up binging the first 5 episodes of this show. I wasn’t expecting an anthology series as a follow-up to The Boys, but it was a pleasant surprise. Obviously some episodes are better than others, but since they’re all under 10 minutes long, the weaker installments are over quickly. Like the main show, the animated sequel is all the way in with the gratuitous gore and violence played for humor. The animation styles vary significantly from episode to episode with some using instantly recognizable backgrounds and character designs from other popular animated shows.

Bonus: The closing song for episode 5 is really fucking good. I had to look up the artist right away after watching the credits. Soooooooo good.

FROG QUEST II by Necry Talkie

1 Like

Season 3 of The Owl House premiered today, and Disney uploaded the whole episode to YouTube.

New Owl House tonight at 9:00!

EDIT: Disney uploaded it to YouTube.

So I know there’s a remaster on youtube somewhere, but 4k scans has got to look better than that. If I remember correctly, that youtube was enhanced with AI, to upscale the image/ remove noise etc.

Would be good to see a side by side comparison. Also, is BTAS going to get this treatment?

Is this how companies are going to profit from public domain works now? The fact that they are still the only physical possessors of the original media means they are the only ones who can produce the best remastered edition. And that remaster is therefore a new copyrighted work that isn’t in the public domain?

I have seen some people questioning this release regarding censorship. For things like Looney Tunes remasters and Tezuka manga reprintings companies have taken the path of not editing for content and putting in disclaimers about racism, sexism, etc. These Superman cartoons are full of all of the above. The title of the 10th episode is literally “Japoteurs”.

I mean, as long as a copy is out in the wild somewhere… “yarr”.

Sure, but if the copies in the public domain are much lower quality than a version that isn’t, that’s kind of a shame. But I guess copyright is serving its intended purpose here. It’s giving companies an incentive to dig stuff out of their vault.

1 Like

The Owl House's series finale airs April 8.

UPDATE: The series finale will air commercial-free.

Final Space creator Olan Rogers premiered the trailer for his new series, which debuts on YouTube in a few days!

The pilot is out!

He’s also getting it crowdfunded for a full series. Help him out.

It will be a trilogy of movies set between the events of the original series and Legend of Korra.

Eric Nam the KPop star switching to voice acting?