Nintendo Switch

Soooooooooo, let’s go to your frozen in ice example.

Am I correct in saying that you’d be fine with being frozen for the exact same length of time as long as button presses produce an animation? It sounds like you’re saying that a loss of agency is fine as long as you can dupe a player into feeling like they have agency when the game has removed it?

How do you feel about combos in a fighting game? In Street Fighter, I hit you 3 times in a row and you can’t respond. The way to prevent that is to not get hit in the first place. I know modern-gen fighting games often have interrupts and cancels, but there are still attack situations that temporarily suspend agency.

What makes it problematic here and not in other places? I genuinely do not follow.

I also think it’s a problem in fighting games. In fact, it’s fucking bullshit.

If I press a button, something should fucking HAPPEN.

Oh, well OK then, at least you’re logically consistent about it.

Though, I still don’t understand the crux of the issue. In Monster Hunter, pushing buttons does what I want it to do. It so happens that some attacks take 4 frames and some take like 12.

If you’re mad because you can’t stop what you’re doing to respond to something’s response, that’s a different story. The answer to that is, once again, don’t fuck up.

This even includes things like in Mario Tennis when it makes you watch a replay after a point, and there’s no way to turn the replays off entirely. At least it lets you skip them. The problem is it does not skip them as fast as I press the button, and that is infuriating.

So you’re saying that we can’t convey a realistic impression of the weight or momentum of a weapon, because attacks should be instant and immediate?

I’m not sure if that’s actually what you’re saying, but that’s how I’m interpreting it.

1 Like

You can have a slow attack. But if I press a button during that long slow animation, my button press must be acknowledged.

5 Likes

Would Monster Hunter, as it is, be acceptable to you provided the bottom of the screen had a prompt similar to the training mode in this game? (DoA4)

I only ask because the bottom of the screen is teeming with acknowledgement of what inputs you give.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3tpTp1rhI

2019: reserved for FF:CC and Animal Crossing.

2 Likes

Switch has officially crossed the overwhelming amount of games threshold for me now. I’m excited for so many of the announced games thus far but now there are so many I feel I won’t get to enjoy them.

The online service, is as expected, garbage.

It’s not free.

You can’t play online without it.

You get access to a handful of classic games. Still doesn’t compete with emulation. Not worth a dime.

You get cloud saves, but they are deleted if you ever stop paying, and they are deleted when the service inevitably ends after the Switch is dead. Also, not all games use the cloud saves. I’m better off using the SD card and backing it up.

I hope that the games they put out don’t heavily rely on the online service. For example, It seems like Splatoon is basically worthless if you don’t pay for the online service, Thankfully I have no interest.\

EDIT: Gotta connect once a week to refresh so that you can keep playing NES games offline and such.

Didn’t you hear Splatoon doesn’t have cloud saves, it’s to prevent hackers…

Yeah this is useless.

You still need to pay for the online service to PLAY Splatoon online.

When I inevitably get a Switch and Smash Bros. I will buy the shortest plan and see if I actually enjoy playing online. If I don’t, it’s something I can’t see myself buying continuously, even for its much lower than the competitors price.

I am confident I will never play a game with another person online via my Switch at any point in the future. I have zero confidence in this capability.

Considering that I don’t feel too bad paying 50 euros a year just in case I happen to play something online on PS4, I won’t have too much issues paying 20 for same with Switch. Waste of money, but so is everything else.

Nicole and I have been hopping online in Overcooked 2 to challenge teams of randos and it works well. Hopefully that doesn’t require Nintendo online since it is a third party game?

Nintendo’s first party online stuff improved a few years ago, for Splatoon 1 and Mario Kart 8. I have logged an incredible amount of time in those games and I honestly can’t remember getting dropped or having lag issues even a single time.

That being said, those games were free to play online. The terms of the paid service are 100% trash.

1 Like

To be fair, Mario Kart works better online than it does with local multiplayer (which has lost its connection 100% of the times I’ve used it).

But local multiplayer is my only use case for Mario Kart…

Ah, this makes sense now. I’ve never attempted any form of multiple-Switch local multiplayer. We are two moons in opposition orbit.

They’d better figure that multiple Switch thing for the new Mario Party game, given it’s the whole hook. Or it’ll suck just like the last… almost every Mario Party game.

I want to actually get good at the new Smash Bros., but I say that every Smash Bros. and then wind up giving up when something about the metagame makes me angry, or all the characters I’m having fun playing are bad.