Neon Genesis Evangelion

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

It is sold out, part of me is glad I didn’t get it, part of me is sad and I missed out.

2 Likes

Back from the beach which means…

Eva 1.11 - it’s just a compilation, remaster, and re-edit of the first six tv episodes. Almost shot for shot. Two very brief, but very key scenes were added. One of them at the end.

2.22 - well that is completely different from the tv show. I can’t believe there are two movies left. How can the plot have that much left? It’s basically over already! Big mistake putting an incredibly important scene post-credits.

2 Likes

Finished 3.33 and 3.0+1.01.

Well, that was really something. What plays out in the literal narrative is so drastically different from any eva that came before. Yet, the lore of the universe is still completely unchanged. Likewise, the message and what the show has to say, is also almost completely unchanged.

The way I think about it is this. Imagine a horror story, perhaps Call of Cthulhu. The story there is pretty simple. Someone dug too deep into forbidden knowledge and faced the consequences. The message is don’t do that, because some things humans were not meant to know.

Now, let’s say you tell the exact same story except the main character, wisely, chooses to not dig too deep. As a result, everything is fine. The message is still the same. It’s clear that digging too deep did have horrible consequences. Both paths of action are clearly laid out and unchanged. The story just chose to illustrate one over the other.

Evangelion is like that. Whether it’s the original TV, End of Eva, or the new movies. They are all illustrating different scenarios, or different perspectives of the same scenario. The underlying truths beneath all of them are essentially identical.

I like this a lot actually. Normally when something gets retold or reproduced in this way, the original material is cast off. Often the original is mined for ideas, but simultaneously treated as if it doesn’t exist. Look how Marvel superhero movies are a total replacement for the comics. Here, the Eva movies are not strictly a sequel, but also not a replacement for the original. The existence of the movies actually serves to enhance the original series, which is quite an accomplishment.

In a sense—and I’m sure there could easily be other interpretations—the movies are

Spoilers

an in-universe reset by Shinji from End of Evangelion that itself ends in another in-universe reset. I could have done without the extra Proper Nouns at the end of 4, but Anno gotta Anno.

Overall I enjoyed Rebuild. I still think the manga is the best, overall presentation.

1 Like

I have to finish the manga. I read quite a bit of it, and it was the fullest exploration of what Evangelion is about.

The films rebuild films just feel like fan service and CGI action.

I think the original TV show is all the Eva anyone needs.

1 Like

There was definitely a lot of unnecessary CGI action, but I must have missed the fanservice. I mean, there wasn’t zero fanservice, but it was merely a sprinkling at most.

Neither improved the plot.

If you take the CGI on it’s own, it’s very impressive. However the charm of the original was that the intricacies of the mechanical animation was that it was storyboarded to add dramatic effect. It wasn’t just cool for the sake of flexing. Which is what I feel the CGI is doing. It’s flexing with scale and detail, but doesn’t add the same tension/ drama.

Also, there is a lot of exposition compared to the TV show and yet the plot still feels very disconnected. If you’ve never watched or read any other Evangelion media, I can’t imagine anyone understanding what the hell is happening in the Rebuild films.

My opinion anyway.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TonyxsteveStony/status/1538720115469918208

I’ve got a chance to meet the kids of my now boyfriend, but they don’t seems to like me that much🥲

1 Like
1 Like

GBA music video