Music News

We didn’t have a general music news thread, so I had to make one to post this.

This was indispensable for me back in the day when I learned to tell the difference between all the genres and subgenres of electronic music. The fact that it is actually updated is incredible. Going to go back into it.

EDIT: Here’s a link to the actual guide:

http://music.ishkur.com/

Music news is so incredibly hard for me to follow.

Even with my favorite bands, I check up on what they’ve been up to every few months only to discover that they released a brand new album when I wasn’t looking.

Spotify helps a lot. Following the band you like on Twitter/Instagram, or joining their Subreddit makes it easy. The other strategy is to find a music podcast that plays a lot of new releases. e.g.: I listen to Armin van Buuren’s State of Trance podcast every week to hear all the new trance music.

The truly secret technique is to work for a music publisher and read music news that other people post on the company Slack. Not easy for everyone to do this, but I managed somehow.

1 Like

Bandcamp doing another revenue share waive on friday this week:

Greetings,

A few Fridays ago, we waived our revenue share to help musicians impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Bandcamp community (very possibly including you!) went above and beyond, paying $4.3 million to artists and labels in just 24 hours. It was an inspiring day, and we heard many requests to do it again, so we’re going to do exactly that.

This Friday, May 1, we’re once again waiving our revenue share for all sales on Bandcamp, from midnight to midnight PDT.

If you’re fortunate enough to be in a position to spare some funds, please join us in providing some much-needed support to the many amazing artists on Bandcamp.

Details are here , and please help us spread the word!

1 Like

You may or may not know of Artzie Music. It’s a channel on YouTube that would post various vaporwave/future funk style music tracks over the top of brief looping gifs, mostly from anime.

It’s a very popular channel supported by the community. But it’s always been in a legal gray area, very dark grey. Most of the music is heavily sampled, and it is unlikely all those samples cleared and are being paid for. Not only that, but there’s no way they paid any rights to use all those anime as music videos.

But the channel lived on for a long time. Recently it had some drama with possibly someone’s partner logging into the site and locking out the “true” owner or something. That doesn’t matter.

What does matter is that the hammer is finally coming down.

Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions Co.Ltd., the anime companies finally came with the copyright strikes. The channel on YouTube is going to die.

Despite the law, this is a serious blow to the community surrounding this genre and aesthetic. Their biggest platform for promotion to people outside their community is going away.

I’m sure someone will re-upload these videos on other platforms, so they certainly aren’t lost. The songs are still all available. Discoverability is just going to suffer. Also, a whole lot of dead links.

EDIT: This is the new channel where I assume they will be less infringy.

Copyright infringement is the bleeding edge of a lot of our contemporary culture.

Given how much the Bard begged, barrowed, and stole, I think it’s been that way for a long time

Bandcamp getting in on the ticketed online concert game. I’m guessing this will quickly become the best platform in this space. All the other ones I’ve seen work, but are kinda meh. Until a really big tech company gets in on this game, this is the jam. Hoping some of my favs do shows on here.

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s better implemented than the total trainwreck that stageit is.

Just released. 9 additional tracks added.

Get Roasted:

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 10.00.49 PM
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 10.01.17 PM
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 10.00.59 PM

Armin’s weekly radio show continues to distort all my Spotify listening data.

Also, if you do this thing, remember to remove its OAuth permissions to your Spotify account afterwards. Pretty sure it’s a scheme to collect Spotify data.

yeah that’s a good advisory.

Not that I ever thought we were going to get more, but this seals the deal. We are almost definitely not getting any more. Hope they do some stuff individually.

EDIT: I do not think this is likely. I am not holding out hope for it, or expecting it. But I was thinking that there is at least a possibility that this is the start of publicity for a new thing they are doing that is not Daft Punk. On the off-chance it does happen, I just want to be able to say that I called it.

1 Like

Around the World is a work of genius, yet to be mastered by any other artist! Repetition without being repetitive. RIP Daft Punk :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5QwOpRh-IfI

1 Like

Bandcamp acquired by…Epic Games?!