Monitors

FWIW the last time I had a Sceptre monitor at work it was pretty good. However that was several years ago.

The monitor makers are starting to make HUGE gaming monitors.

55" OLED. 1 Display Port and a few HDMI. This is definitely the way to avoid a Smart TV. Would love to see more displays along these lines when the time comes for me to get a new one.

Oh my Satan fucking four grand though?!?

That’s because it’s OLED. OLED yields are still crap, keeping prices high. Demand is also high, since it’s the best screen you can buy right now. Until we get a better display technology, or yields improve, the prices are going to stay high.

While better image quality it’s not $3500 better, goddamn. Those must be some absolute trash yields.

It is $3500 better. Basically ever other display type you can get in your home has a back light. This means the black areas of the image are not black, they are kind of grayish. The contrast is crap. Even the new super expensive Mac Pro monitor thing solves the problem by having several separate smaller back lights that get brighter or darker intelligently.

OLEDs don’t have the problem at all. Each separate pixel is self illuminating. This means that black pixels are fucking black. The contrast ratio is insane. Basically a whole new world compared to even the best IPS LED backlit LCD displays.

Ok, its not $3500 better -to me-. Technologically, sure of course, and I’ll buy one when they’re $500. Until then its waaaay too rich for my blood.

I mean, you may not care that it’s so much better, what’s important is that you understand how it is better.

Obviously this example image is being displayed on whatever monitor you have, but it gives a good simulated approximation of the difference between LCD and OLED.

1 Like

Been super seriously thinking about upgrading to a 27inch (or about) screen with 4k. Running a standard 1080 on a 23.5 inch right now. Maybe there will be a sweet deal I can get in on this black friday, but its hard to justify the cost while I’m also trying to outfit my home.

27" x 4k is a great option. If you can get by with keeping the scaling factor near 100-150% you are getting a lot of real-estate. With the smaller icons and toolbars and the fidelity, it all just opens up and most programs feel way less confining. If you’re not using it for productivity and just gaming/movies/whatever then it still is pretty fun.

The latest monitor I’ve acquired

4 Likes

Wow, looks like it’s in great condition.

Just missing the control panel door.

I recently made the plunge into a Dell 27" Ultrasharp 4K, upgrading from a pair of 12+ year old 19" LCD monitors. Wow, why did I wait so long? Sure, I ended up paying less than if I had made the switch a few years ago but this thing is great. There’s more than enough pixel real estate combined with virtual desktops to have all my apps & windows easily accessible. Video & image editing is so lush now, I just feel spoiled.

Do it. Maybe wait for Dell’s Black Friday deals if you want to save some coin (can save nearly 50%), but a 27" 4k is absolutely the right move for a desktop monitor.

2 Likes

I get why OLEDs are so good, but Plasma TVs had a lot of the same benefits and were way cheaper. The fixed the ghosting issue but people never really could let go of it. (I still have my plasma tv after 10 years)

Plasma screens are good, but nobody makes them anymore. The contrast on them is way better than LCD, but still not as good as OLED. They are cheaper than OLED, but still more expensive than LCD. For a brief period of time they were the best, but because of OLED they ended up occupying this middle space in the market that doesn’t serve any customer.

Someone who really cares and knows about the image quality, and will pay for it, gets OLED. LCD has improved a lot since the time plasma was king, and is way way way cheaper, so it suits the needs of just about everyone else. If they still made plasma today, which customer is it for exactly? Someone who wants better image quality, but won’t pay for OLED, is well served by the highest end LCD display.

Also, plasma was only ever really used for big TVs. I’ve never even seen a plasma computer monitor. I wonder if it’s even possible to make like, a phone with a plasma screen. Meanwhile, OLED/LCD can be used for everything from an Apple Watch to an enormous television. Making a factory to make those displays makes sense because you can get a lot of customers. If you have a plasma factory, it doesn’t make much sense.

IIRC there is a technological lower limit to the size of Plasmas, they can’t get smaller than 42", I don’t recall why though.

Plasma screens also consume a lot of energy and produce a lot of heat. I love the picture quality of my geriatric plasma TV but will be happy to switch to an OLED screen as the price comes down.

They’re also heavy, for their size, and easy as hell to break. You cannot tilt many of them beyond a certain point and just taking them to high elevation can break them.

When I can get 4k 144hz 27" OLED and a GPU that can run games on that like a boss at 144+ fps with Ray tracing, I think we’ll be in good shape… But by the time that isn’t 15,000 USD for such a setup, 8k gaming or some VR shit will be the new paradigm.