Media Analysis and Criticism

Bitter aftertaste: A number of people who aren’t involved are now subject to serious legal expenses because she was careless - a LOT of people had to lawyer up. Like, in some cases, having to make the choice between spending thousands they can’t afford now in hopes that it would stop, or an undetermined sum which could be much more later due to court proceedings. And the few who have allegedly reached out for assistance - as she says, she has a legal team, and there are other things she could do to help besides - she and her team apparently went “Lol not our problem, good luck.”

The second video did literally nothing to alleviate this, and appears to have made it worse, only extending and intensifying what, for some folks, has been a months-long nightmare, with a well-resourced and extremely petty sword of Damocles hanging over their heads.

1 Like

Can anyone provide a tl;dr on this?

Basically:

Sarah makes a video about what happened with the game(Basically what you expect - overambitious goals with overambitious time-frames, poor resource allocation, poor communication, poor treatment of devs, massive, almost random changes in scope, scale, and goals etc - it’s a lot to cliffnotes accurately), noting she got sources from inside the company, and among ex-employees, as well as some other blogger who apparently also had a source from either inside the company, or whom was an ex-employee, and may or may not have been both lying and fired for being a shit.

Second video, she has absolutely fucking useless technique with a cocktail shaker and dry shakes a drink with no emulsifier and no need to be dry shaken, the studio started by the creator of the property sends a rather pissy legal letter to Sarah, her lawyers send one back, the creator himself gets in touch, they have a few weeks of back-and-forth which went nowhere, and she basically all but outright dares them to try coming after her.

4 Likes

Why’d folks have to lawyer up? I’ve enjoyed these two videos but I feel kinda guilty now knowing that she put people in financial risk by poking the hornet’s nest.

1 Like

Can’t say a great deal for obvious reasons, since this forum appears in google, but suffice it to say that at least part of the reason is that the creator is one of the pettiest people on the planet, and the companies he’s been involved are not far different. And since they were previously involved with the companies in question in whatever capacities, that puts them in the splash radius, even though they never, at any point, had anything to do with Sarah or her video. There is a lot more lashing out and so on going down than is portrayed in either video, and a lot of the people at risk are not protected by the distance of just being a youtuber talking about something that happened.

2 Likes

Wow, that sounds like literally my worst nightmare. Good luck to them.

I had a friend years ago who was super into Homestuck and always recommending I read it. I tried and found it utterly impenetrable with a really weird fanbase. I guess I’ll try actually watching the videos, sounds like a crazy tale.

The second one is less interesting, admittedly, but the first is somewhat of a ride through some pretty interesting drama. Worth your time, if that much sounds interesting. And, both addressing yourself and Naoza, no need for guilt, what’s done is done, and there’s no sign of it changing, watching won’t make much difference there.

I was never really into homestuck itself, but it is a pretty interesting transmedia property.

1 Like

The first one especially is perhaps the best summation of what the deal with homestuck was outside of “explain homestuck to an old guy”.

The second is definitely lighter and more ephemeral and can just be summed up as drama with a little foux legal stuff at the beginning as clickbait.

Well. That was a wild ride.

Explains a lot about why I was never able to get into Homestuck. It’s really interesting how it was so of the internet and its contemporary technologies, that it can now no longer exist in its original form.

Just from the headline, who says Ultraman is little known? It’s very well known.

This was surprisingly interesting. I never fully realized how much of a tension there is between the Ripley character when putting both movies side by side, and I only recently watched both films over the course of two days.

1 Like

This is a great video essay that uses Django and Bo Burnham’s Inside comedy special as a way to talk about many important issues with white liberal wokeness. I don’t want to try and summarize or restate too much, I just want to say that he does an absolutely AMAZING job at breaking down the multi-faceted aspects of these topics. Nothing is all good or bad, it is… complicated… and yet other aspects aren’t at all.

He definitely helps tease apart why I thought Burnham’s special, and other well-meaning white liberal media, is great but also leaves me somewhat unsettled at the too self-aware wokeness at the same time.

1 Like

I fondly remember The Lord of the Rings animated movie with more felicity than it probably deserves. Retrospectively it is a total mess, but there are moments of greatness within that still stay with me.

1 Like

I know of Bakshi but I’ve never seen his movies, and this essay didn’t convince I should, so the first 20-30 minutes about his career was very interesting.

Polyphonic’s latest video was unfortunately copyright-striked, but it didn’t deter him–he came up with a clever solution to make the best out of his situation. His latest video talks about Jimi Hendrix’s legendary jam Voodoo Child, and he made sure his essay syncs up perfectly with the entire song.

So just pull up the long version of Voodoo Child (I found it easily on Spotify) and start playing it as the video instructs. He provides a countdown to make it easy for you.

Another excellent analysis of Mad Max: Fury Road.

2 Likes

A newcomer to the video essay scene is dog eat dog (yes, all in lowercase). Since the trailer for Matrix Resurrections was released, they made a video explaining the meaning of the movie’s red pill and how it’s been misinterpreted by right-wingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx2N0h-Lfe4