MAGFest 2018

Travelling is expensive though.

Hey @linkigi don’t forget to take the survey about MAGWest.

I laughed a little too much at this.

2 Likes

Question for people with Super Magfest tickets. Did any of you get emails about the rooms yet? I ask because I got an email saying the links were coming this week, keep an eye out for them, but over the weekend 2 friends of a friend got their links that will go live today.

Yup if you clicked the check box a link and code will be sent out to you today. This also includes vendors and other people too, one room can be held until Thursday when everything will open up.

Not sure if the magfest in the gaylord in january is called super magfest but no, I’ve not gotten the email about actually getting rooms. Just the one that talks about actually getting a room.

January MAGFest is Super MAGFest. The email for room sign ups went out at 1PM EST today. Check all your folders, spam, what have you. Google put mine in the “Promotions” tab.

You can click into a waiting queue now, but at 7PM everyone currently in the queue will get randomized, and everyone after that will add on to the end. At that point, when it is your turn, you will have 10 minutes to fill stuff out and you can get one room. You’ll need the password from the email.

That’s kinda cool. Fortunately I’ve already got mine but I think I’ll shoot for cheaper.

I still don’t have an email. I’ve checked every folder, and I’m sure I clicked the box for it when I signed up.

Edit: talk about a last minute play, I got the email and I’m in the queue with like 3 minutes to spare lol

Well that was exciting.

1 Like

All I got was for a “hotel pending” room. Fortunately 2 of my friends fared better so I’ll probably be ok

I already had a room but tried anyway. Got the exact same room, (well hotel and room type) but for $120 cheaper.

That’s like a magfest hoodie + some nice art right there.

1 Like

The initial block is now sold out, according to Magfest. A lot of people are (predictably) angry on the internet.

I have a conspiracy theory that it’s not third parties. A “scalper” on the event’s payroll does it, so Taylor Swift doesn’t get flak for selling $4,000 tickets or whatever.

I have no proof of this. I just suspect it’s happening.

My annoyance is more that I had to buy a nonrefundable 59 dollar ticket to be in a lottery to find out if I have a place to stay at for the event. Other years for Magfest id make sure I had a place to stay before I bought the ticket. This year they made that a non option.

I think because of friends I might still be ok, but others, who might have spent even more on day one tickets might not be as lucky.

How do you figure?

You needed to get a ticket for the event or they wouldn’t send you a link for the hotel booking. That was my understanding at least.

As far as I know that’s the case, but nothing magfest did prevented you for making sure you had a place to stay before buying the ticket. It’s what I did.

Not to say circumstance or whatever couldn’t cause this issue. I’m sympathetic to that plight, just don’t feel it’s fair to lay that at magfest’s feet.

Magfest’s only crime is being too big for east coast con infrastructure. Maybe vegas could comfortably contain it at it’s current size but maybe not. Hard to say.

For a variety of reasons (mainly that I had to work when the 7PM start time happened, and I work using my phone so I couldn’t just leave it on the reserve screen), I didn’t get a hotel room through MAG. Neither did my one roommate who could be on a computer. Another roommate decided to book something across the river, but I remain slightly concerned about traveling (and getting roped into leaving earlier by people). Waiting to see if MAG does get more stuff in the Harbor and if I can nab a reservation.

Not mad at MAG, mad at the situation.

You should be mad at MAG. The problem is that more people want to go to MAG than there are hotel beds to fit everyone. Seems like there’s just no solution? There actually IS a solution. MOVE. MAGFest has outgrown the space and needs to move somewhere with more hotel capacity. They refuse to do so.

1 Like