Labor

Union Pacific’s CEO is stepping down.

https://news.yahoo.com/starbucks-illegally-fired-us-workers-041030375.html

In response, Starbucks said its actions were lawful and in line with policies.

“We believe the decision and the remedies ordered are inappropriate given the record in this matter and are considering all options to obtain further legal review,” Starbucks told the BBC.

Good lord, these people…

Way to go. As good as Major League baseball players have it, in large part thanks to their union, the life of a minor league baseball player is really awful. Hopefully this can improve compensation and working conditions.

5 Likes

A controversial clause added to NDAs are now voided.

Oof. This ain’t good.

Raise the alarm bells.

1 Like

There could be another writer’s strike in May.

EDIT: They made a video explaining their grievances.

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s awesome news! We need more companies to try 4-day work weeks and get the momentum growing! Just like working from home, once it happens the results will speak for themselves that it works and many/most people prefer it. I work in B2B sales so I feel like my profession won’t move to 4-day work weeks until most of the business customers are doing 4-day work weeks.

Writing historically been the most undervalued/trod on aspect of the labor of making films and television shows.

Hopefully they can win a strong contract with clauses handling streaming payments and rights that fit with the current times.

2 Likes

This should hopefully be an easy victory. The founders of B&J are more left-leaning than other U.S. companies.

In April 2000, Ben & Jerry’s sold itself to British multinational food giant Unilever. In the acquisition agreement, Unilever agreed to carry on the company’s tradition of engaging “in these critical, global economic and social missions”.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Also, even companies who seemed left leaning have been strongly anti-Union, like Kickstarter or REI.

Not the company I expected to put on my Bingo list. Best of luck to them, though.

Dope logo with the sonic glove.

Also the Golden Ring.

yep, also colors for sonic, shadow, and eggman, all around cool.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-04-28/ben-jerry-s-agrees-to-principles-behind-workers-union-bid

Employees at Ben & Jerrys have formed a group. Scooper’s United, that is hoping to become an officially recognized union. They came up with a list of fair union election principles.

https://twitter.com/bradlander/status/1652326429072273411

Even though the union does not yet exist, and even though it is not required by law, Ben & Jerry’s has agreed to abide by these principles. Basically, they promise not to do anti-union meetings and all those other shenanigans that other companies have been doing.

This is how it’s done. And honestly, a lot of these principles should be enshrined in law.

3 Likes

The WGA Writer’s Strike begins today.

1 Like

This would be my labor moto if I didn’t work in healthcare, though I do abide by it for non-patient related tasks.

4 Likes