Instead of Twitter, you can follow me on…

Not just that - the dev team is a whopping…Two people. They are handling the massive influx better than anyone expected, but they are definitely having a bit of a hard time right now.

I meant to type full-internet-scale meaning “what happens if everyone on the internet who wants to suddenly appears on your site/service”.

There are only a few companies who have managed to tackle this problem successfully, and Twitter is one of them. After years of fail whales. I’m not sure any of the Twitter replacements will get there in time to take full advantage of Twitter’s current drama.

1 Like

You can find me on the Toot app: @ thewhaleshark@mstdn.social. I’m currently hunting around to migrate to a different instance because the two main ones I’d eyeballed (scholar.social and fediscience.org) are currently closed to new accounts. I’m not in a particular rush to migrate though - while mstdn.social is gigantic, I haven’t seen anything bad come by yet. So, the handle will change at some point, but if you follow me now I’ll just migrate you whenever I actually migrate.

Really, Mastodon does feel a lot like Old Internet to me, and it’s less obtuse that I thought. Just had to poke around, get a feel for how the community works, that sort of thing. Listen to @no_fun_girl, their advice is spot-on and helped make my entry very smooth.

1 Like

I’m not sure if all the mastodon apps do this but you can follow other instances without having an account with them. I’m following two others.

Also, for folks trying Hive, their password setup doesn’t mention all the requirements. It requires at least 1 capital, 1 lowercase, 1 number, and 1 special character, plus some have said has a maximum character limit.

Also encore, there’s a Hive separate from the Hive Social network that seems to be a Slack alternative, which might confuse some.

Unless it’s like 8192 characters, this is really bad news if true. Like, never use that service bad.

Agreed. I’m hoping it was a separate limitation they read as a length limit. When I signed up it didn’t mention the number or special character requirement and I had to just try and guess the problem.

Edit: After a bit of playing around, I can confirm the limit has to be higher than 113, if there is a limit. Still doesn’t say the requirements on the password reset page, though does at least alert to what you are missing now.

Follow me on Steam @Dazzle369 lol

I post nothing there.

I just play Rocket League mostly.

3 Likes
4 Likes

another self-hosting option is you can run an akkoma instance on raspberry pi, or so i hear.

i think someone new to the culture misses out on a lot with self-instance. i’m seeing a lot of tech oriented new users rolling their own, and then having a bumpy start (even when they solo-instance) that would have been mitigated by lurking a little.

im hoping an akkoma fork project will pop up to support more safety features (like opt-in federation, among others)… it would be too much for a solo project :sweat_smile:. i’ve been meaning to document the various design opportunities i’ve noticed from the time i’ve been on… maybe other people would find inspiration.

Here we go!

rym.social will always have links to whatever I’m using. It’s permanent. Probably more important than anything else I set up, since I fully expect the social media world to be extremely unstable for the next 3-5 years.

I will actively be using @rym@mastodon.rym.social for as long as I keep using Mastodon in its current form.

1 Like
4 Likes

Geocities modern revival?

Neocities has been around a long time actually.

The thing is, it’s kind of unnecessary. You can host a static web site so many places for basically free.

rym.social is literally just a static page in Google Sites and a redirect to it configured in Google Domains. It took under 10 minutes from thinking “I should make a web page for this” to “the web page is live.”

1 Like

Instead of Twitter, you can now find me on, well, Instagram, but also on Mastadon:
@lukeburrage@masto.nu

I’m looking forward to seeing how it develops. It’s quiet at the moment, but that’s no change for me, considering I only follow about 30 Twitter accounts. Earlier this year I tried giving up on an RSS reader and instead using Twitter accounts to know about new stuff, but that didn’t work great and I’m back with an RSS reader again anyway.

And because I’ve only got 5 followers on Mastodon, compared to 1,246 on Twitter, I’m thinking of actually using it to share thoughts and links and interesting stuff.

For a decade I’ve only ever used Twitter to announce stuff I’ve published elsewhere (podcasts, YouTube videos, news, etc), rarely as a publishing platform itself.

I’ve sometimes cross-post juggling videos there from Instagram, but mostly because while 90% of the juggling world uses Instagram as the main “short-trick-worth-sharing” platform, Japanese jugglers are more active on Twitter. When I see a juggling video doing well on Twitter, I know the retweets are going to look like this:

Because of this, I’ll keep reposting on Twitter up until the end of the year, when I finish with the Top 40 Jugglers of 2022 (there’s probably going to be four Japanese jugglers on this list). Then I’ll stop sharing there completely and see if I keep in contact with the Japanese jugglers in other ways.

It’s been fun to mute 90% of the accounts I follow on Twitter for the last week, and delete it off my phone screen. Maybe I’ll miss it during live sporting events, or to catch up with live news, but I can always use a web browser to access that in the future if it’s really needed. For now it’s been fine to do without.

For the live sporting event chatter I highly recommend

a) Find the subreddit specific to that sport or team, there will usually be a live thread.
b) Find a Discord server of people who are fans of that sport, they will usually have a chat room for that particular event.

Wanted to share this with new and potential Mastodon folks.

I read this feature request and here is my proposal.

Completely remove the ability to see who is following who. That is none anyone’s fucking business. The only follower list or count anyone should see is who they are themselves following, and that’s it.

3 Likes

Developers of Tweetbot new Mastodon app.