Instant Messaging in 2016

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you there. I’m on a couple different Discord and Slack groups that are used by various communities in addition to the uses I already mentioned. They get the job done, but it’s obviously not what their primary purposes are.

How is Discord not community-focused? It even integrates directly with Patreon and has lots of stuff to give boons to and otherwise encourage a community?

This is all it says on the discord homepage. Emphasis added by me.

It’s time to ditch Skype and TeamSpeak.

All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.

This is what it looks like when you open Discord.

This is an app that is focused on communities of people playing video games first and foremost. It just so happens to be useful for non-gaming communities, but the developers are primarily considering the needs and use cases of gaming communities first.

1 Like

How does that in any way affect you or your use of the software?

Discord software is alright I do not get any of that when I use it

Yeah you can turn off all that game front page stuff when you open Discord.

There’s no money to be made in interoperability. Easier to squeeze money out of a fiefdom.

2 Likes

Google is rolling out RCS through the Google Messages app, Google’s ninth messaging app after Google Talk, Google Voice, Google Buzz, Google+ Messenger, Hangouts, Spaces, Allo, and Hangouts Chat.

1 Like

Thus I’ve just given up on Google messaging of any form. Discord and Signal. And at this point regular old email…

1 Like

It’s kinda sad and annoying. I legit don’t know what I’m going to do for backend coms this year at CTCon.

PAX uses Discord now. At least, my department does.

1 Like

Ditto that. And I went out of my way to make it a bit of a hangout space, too, most of my department is still active in there on any given day, and other enforcers are welcome, so it serves double duty, keeping the crew together and creating stronger bonds, which is great both at and outside of the show. It’s not the only means of show comms, by any means, but in-department stuff, it’s one of the more common.

So does Will’s. Discord’s just a bit heavy for what I was hoping for, but will probably end up beingthe best solution.

I have one friend that I talk to on Hangouts with. I use Discord a lot. I use FB Messenger a bit and use it as my SMS. I’ve looked into maybe trying a different SMS app, but I actually really enjoy Messenger’s UI.

I’m trying to get more people into Discord at this point, but it’s quite scattered. Some projects are being handled entirely within the FB messenger system :joy: others still on damned Skype which can’t maintain a group chat going if it wanted to.

I envy y’all in tech who as teams are generally tuned in on the latest and greatest.

1 Like

I gave up on hangout once it was apparent that google wasn’t going to keep up with the newer chat systems. Not liking discord too much I found a foss solution called rocketchat and have been keeping that running for a group of irl friends. It’s not perfect but I feel better about it than something that doesn’t have a clear funding future.

I’m not confident there is going to be a great solution for communication that will last for decades. Maybe an email v2.0? Maybe imessage will get ported to android? maybe we’ll just give up and only buy iphones.

Apple just blocked all “vaping” apps, which includes the configuration and tuning apps many vaporizers need to function.

So a lot of people who enjoy certain herbs need an Android phone now…

1 Like

Or maybe you should get some vape that doesn’t require an app?

2 Likes

They don’t always “require” the app, but it allows for easier configuration.

My PAX, for example, allows easier tuning of the oven temp through the app rather than directly on the interface.