I'm Saddened... (Board Games)

Just a heads up if you know someone who uses the service.

https://youtu.be/vIvUzocMid8

I’m shocked.

…20char

This chart needs to be updated.

This seems like a not-great game, but I want to play it just for the theme. Also, they published it under a CC0 license, and I like to support that.

I don’t know who the guy who made that chart plays Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Catan with, but those sure as hell aren’t “never ending” games.

I know for a fact that I could finish a game of Settlers - or Monopoly - significantly faster than a game of Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit.

Most people could play 2-3 Risks (located off the grid, upper-right) as quickly as one Diplomacy.

This chart is telling us more about one person’s individual experiences than any real data. For example, what makes Bananagrams moderately “friendship ending,” or Pictionary “lighthearted fun,” other than the specific and idiosyncratic experiences of the creator? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“DemoWeasel, post:26, topic:206, full:true”]
I don’t know who the guy who made that chart plays Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Catan with, but those sure as hell aren’t “never ending” games.
[/quote]I’ve met the kinds of people for whom Carcassonne is a super long angry game. There’s a reason I don’t go to a lot of tabletop events that aren’t PAX anymore…

There is a three-year-old post on the old forums where @Matt lays out a bunch of then-recent games that @SkeleRym and @apreche should play:

As for heavy games that you guys could be checking out, if you want to be more recent than Hansa Teutonica, here is a cheat sheet for the past two and a half years of releases:

Terra Mystica*
Keyflower
Nations
Suburbia*
Caverna
Euphoria
Spyrium
T’Zolkin: The Mayan Calendar*
Lewis & Clark
Libertalia
Glass Road
Fleet*
Steam Park*
Myrmes
Amerigo
Francis Drake

*I have actually played these ones and can vouch for them as good.

So… it’s 2017. How many of these have we actually played in the past three years?

Rym has played Terra Mystica, Suburbia, T’zolkin, and Steam Park with us. I think Scott has played Lewis & Clark, Terra Mystica, and Glass Road at some non-PAX board game meetup. You both played Spyrium with us. I’m pretty sure one or both of you played Euphoria with Ro and Jeremy.

And… what popular medium-heavy strategy games would I add post-2014?

• Russian Railroads (Rym played this with us last year at West)
  • Concordia (Scott played this at PAX South)
  • Scythe (Scott played this at PAX West)
  • Vast: The Crystal Caverns (Nudith owns this and has played it with Anthony)
  • Castles of Mad King Ludwig (A sequel of sorts to Suburbia)
  • Five Tribes
  • Alchemists
  • Panamax
  • A Feast for Odin
  • First Class (Scott played this at MAGFest)

We’ve already played Yokohama, Grand Austria Hotel, The Voyages of Marco Polo, Viticulture, and Roll for the Galaxy.

In 3 years, I have only managed to add Lewis & Clark to my played list. I do now own Keyflower (due to Game Salute’s Enforcer discount) and Amerigo (due to Black Friday blowout). Have to get those to the table.

2012-2014 is like my dark period. I wasn’t getting out as much. I quit my writing gigs. I’ve done a better job staying on top of the hotness 2015-2017, but I certainly can’t make claims of playing them all. Playing 80% of what’s on offer in the Hot Games tables at BGG.CON the past two years gave me a leg up for sure.

Of your list I’ve only played Scythe, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, First Class, Grand Austria, Viticulture, and Roll for the Galaxy. I do own Five Tribes but need to get it to table. Really want to play Marco Polo.

From what I’ve played, I’d consider adding:

• The Gallerist
  • Mombasa
  • Great Western Trail
  • Lorenzo Il Magnifico
  • Super Motherload
  • Orleans
  • Captains of Industry
  • Xenon Profiteer

These dip into medium, not all medium-heavy, and there’s so much I haven’t played. But these were all good.

We’re going to start ramping up our game nights to start playing more games enough to fully review them.

A big part of our problem is that we used to only review a game that we’d played to completion/breakage, and fully dive into it. Now we usually only get a given game to the table 3-5 times tops (unless it’s exceptional).

We have a small queue of games we just need to play more and we can review fully.

As the midpoint between the NYC and Philly contingents in this conversation, I propose a board game review retreat. I can host. You could tie it in with your beach thing, as I’m only 25min from the northern beaches.

1 Like

That is… not a bad idea.

That would be one hell of a powerhouse of game review capabilities.

1 Like

Make a google doc of games you want to review, and hit them hard.

Aside from the next two weekends and the second weekend in August I am shot until Sept. But we can take this offline if you boys want to make it happen.

I really like Captains of Industry but the base game has a couple of flaws that (hopefully) will be patched with an expansion. For an economic game there’s no mechanism to prevent runaway deflation.

FFG is teasing a game based on Fallout. Probably a GenCon announcement deal.

I predict a big map full of nodes representing settlements, ~10 decks of cards in two different sizes, a handful of dice, grey plastic miniatures, and, let’s say, 3 different scenarios run by an app, all cooperative.

Now, let’s see how I did and check the website :stuck_out_tongue:

I see a tile hex map, 3 decks of cards in two different sizes, no dice, khaki plastic miniatures, 4 scenarios, no app, and competitive gameplay. So… I did terrible.

2 Likes

There’s got to be people playing Eclipse during the eclipse.

Has anyone played Sidereal Confluence yet? Any game that can play large groups of people in about 2-3 hours and still be a somewhat heavy “Euro” is on my radar…

1 Like

Was invited to play Twilight Imperium with my board game friends this weekend. Even though I haven’t played in probably 2 years, I do enjoy that game. Unfortunately I can’t make it Saturday because that game literally requires that you set aside an entire fucking day to play it. :upside_down_face:

1 Like