Hong Kong

So your argument is now that protests in Hong Kong are not democratic enough in their goals?? Protest movements are notoriously hard to control messaging of and behave in a coherent manner.

Those folks view themselves as being oppressed and slowly to have their government and culture wiped out? What would you have them do? all leave Hong Kong? China is not going to let them put their citizenship up for a vote.

I’m not sure you can use Palestinians as examples to help your cause. Considering the West bank literally elected a group considered terrorists by Israel to govern their area…

So your answer to those people is to let their freedom of expression and speech be eroded because the Mainland Chinese gave theirs up already? And it was a crime for the British to instill these values in their society?

Are you defending Israel’s occupation of the West Bank?

Does that look like that is the topic we are discussing, I’m referring to whether they would be considered xenophobic to their occupying power. I.E since DoubleGomez is using them as an example to counter my oppressed people tend to be Xenophobic.

Thought to be fair, it’s stretching the definition of Xenophobic to mistrust the people who have power over you.

Nor was the discussion about whether China/Israel considers Hong Kong/Palestine xenophobic, it was about whether Hong Kong/Palestine is xenophobic. I’m just pushing you to actually say Palatine is xenophobic.

Would the Hong Kong people becoming subject to the laws of mainland China slowly overriding their own protections and eroding the freedoms they have be an analogous situation of a area being taken under the governance of an occupying power? I would argue yes it would. Would lead those people to become mistrustful of those from the occupying power and prejudiced against them. Should we hold that prejudice against their cause? If we view their cause as just?

3 Likes

There’s been a lot of really cool stuff I’ve seen kicking around Twitter. There was a really adorable Chibi Pro-HK Mei t-shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R14F6IVjJt4

As usual, the NY Times headline is awful. This is extremely bad.

It’s bad. It’s real bad. I don’t think I’ll ever see the city of Hong Kong again.

1 Like

It got my super-Republican Representative and one of the Senators from my state to both unreservedly tweet support for President Biden’s decision to sign this measure. It is a topic they have both tweeted about and made speeches in support of Hong Kong’s need for freedom. I mention it not because their support for this issue is itself important, but because they did not hold back their praise for the actions of a Democratic POTUS, something that is almost unheard of from elected Republicans in this century.

Both political parties are against China.

The difference is that Republicans are against communism and people who aren’t white.
Democrats are against authoritarianism and human rights violations.

3 Likes