Hong Kong

I’m glad the USA has their best men working on the China problem.

Nazi China?

So I don’t know how relevant that is to the situation on the ground in HK. But I will say that reading that was awful.

I’d love for something to be done, but who could? The US? The states has it’s own concentration camps.

As to the situation on the ground in HK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTrc_C2Xnc

This has been the best summary I’ve found from a leftist perspective.

hong%20kong%20slurs
Oh goodness were these slurs?

https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1184121444738965507

Are you arguing that the Hong Kong protesters are in the wrong for wanting to live in a democratic society or that they should be less racist in their methods of expressing protest?

They can have the vote. It won’t help the majority of the people in Hong Kong but there is nothing wrong with it per se. But yeah it is telling what protest gets the most foreign attention. They can probably be less racist but the racism is a revealing aspect of the Hong Kong protesters so I’m glad that they milk shake ducked themselves.

I don’t think racist insults used by a group of protesters (which in some way desqualifies them as… what? “legitimate protesters”? do they become less interesting? probably it lowers down the empathy towards them), I don’t think that translates into something like Hong Kong protesters (all of them, in general) being racists.

200 people is not representative of a whole movement. A movement including over a million people marching the streets of Hong Kong and protesting every now and then.

4 Likes

Just a few bad apples eh?

What’s your point Gomez?

10 Likes

:man_shrugging:t5:

“I support the Hong Kong police” is not “Cops should kill them all.”

I mean, it’s still bad, but come on.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Props, but not enough to make me like like him.

I wouldn’t even give him credit. Just because it lines up with the correct side for you once doesn’t mean he isn’t playing the same outrage-farming game he’s always played.

1 Like

Also isn’t YouTube banned generally in China?

maybe pdp is on youku.com

Because the blatant xenophobia by the Hong Kong protesters is a systemic issue and handwaving it away as a few bad apples is sweeping it under the rug, which while not surprising for a European is something that should not be ignored. There may not be a single leader but there are leaders in every movement and they have created and published demands. Those demands do not reflect the concerns that animate the protests. Hong Kong has deindustrialized, jobs are scarce, and housing is increasing unaffordable. The leaders have waved the Hong Kong Colonial flag and the US flag and asked the American government to intervene to save them while attacking mainland Chinese people and using colonial era epithets against them which all amounts to hate speech.

The people crying liberate hong kong, when they are not absolutely incoherent are gesturing towards Hong Kong independence which would be a disaster for them. They get all of there water from the mainland so they are not independent in anyway. Independence would simply leave them even more at the mercy of the financial firms that dominate the economy of Hong Kong and the global financial system’s austerity madness even if they managed to solve the water issue.

I’m interested in your opinion on the fact that Xenophobia is pretty common among most under siege groups of people. The people of Hong Kong have been living under the fact that their way of life and rights are eroding over time. You’d be hard pressed to find another group of people not acting xenophobic in a situation like that. Just look at the news and what china is doing to other groups that are not homogenous to their views Like the Uyghurs. I’d be afraid in Hong Kong with their deviate views on freedom of expression will end up in education camps as well and be pretty afraid of the mainland Chinese.

1 Like

I don’t think there is but that is sort of hard to prove or disprove as a general case. Also the latent sentiments aren’t just in society but have been channeled into the program of the action and demands of the Hong Kong protestors so their xenophobia is more systemic.Take Palestine as an example. While it is true that general hatred of Israel and the Israelis is prevalent in their occupied society it also doesn’t come out in the same way amongst the leaders and the structure of the resistance movement against the illegitimate state of Israel even though they are continually deprived of their rights and stripped of more as time has gone on. But the more you try to use specifics to prove this the more apparent it becomes that any general statement on xenophobia is sort of useless and the individual conditions in these countries needs to be analyzed instead.

There is a substantial polarization in Hong Kong. If I remember correctly it is like a public opinion split 60-40 for the protest so there are a substantial amount of people that don’t want any of the demands proffered so far. China isn’t afraid of of these protests spreading to the mainland anymore because of the persistent attacks on mainlanders mean that most of the people there are rather militantly against Hong Kong now. So they have isolated themselves rather well and are probably living on borrowed time.

But this also gets to a further point I was making about the divide between leaders and the broader movement. While most of the movement might hold such anti mainlander beliefs like this it is also true that they do not make the policy for the movement. It isn’t like the leaders of the movement held a plebiscite on what their demands should be. I mean the protests did not stop when the extradition bill was declared dead because their grievances go deeper than that. That’s why the demands are so minimalist and yet so disastrous in scope. I mean it is rather known that sanctions hurt the people more than the rulers of the country so the protest leaders demanding sanctions against Hong Kong and having no demands on housing is a telling aspect of the structure and direction of the movement. The leaders of the movement, from waving Donald Trump signs and US and Hong Kong’s colonial flags will probably be the ones to suffer least from the sanctions they are demanding be imposed. They are also the ones that did not suffer under colonial rule because they were not born yet. The media in Hong Kong has also been publicizing anti chinese emigrant views about them using up all the resources of the country ala the anti immigrant rhetoric in America in regards to migrants from Mexico and the rest of the Americas for years. The leaders of the movement have actively encouraged and led on a chauvinist platform and that is part and parcel of the structural nature of this. The movement will probably be broken upon it.