Gundam

Gundam IBO reminds me a lot of Code Geass, it has some serious highlights that tend to make you forget how incredibly stupid it is at points. I really liked the ending, despite not enjoying the ending.

I’ve been seeing a bunch of clips from victory Gundam recently and everything I’ve seen has convinced me that it’s a waste of time. It is, however, very fun to play in Gundam Versus if you get the chance.

The only thing you need to see in Victory Gundam is that scene where the girl flying around in a bikini space suit gets beam sabered.

It’s also hilarious, just for the translation fwin “Semi-naked women?!”

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1111229708715216897

Sunrise has launched a YouTube channel for watching all Gundam, all the time.

Last I checked no subs. Did they add any?

The answer appears to be “no”.

if you want subs, they have gundaminfo, which has a rotating selection of gundam in 4 different languages(one of which is english). Usually it’s 4 or 5 shows, then all of the build fighter stuff. Looks like right now it’s Char’s Counter attack, Seed HD, Seed Destiny HD, IBO S1, and Unicorn

Weird that they’re only doing 4 shows right now. Too bad Seed never got a sequel season; it’d fit right in that rotation.

2 Likes

For sure; they could do some sort of upgraded version of the Strike Gundam(Which BTW is just a joy to play in Gundam VS.)

Gundam SEED ended too soon, and they should have made more than 2 Indiana Jones movies.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1308532427523067905?s=19

When does it start dancing?

This manga is an interesting retelling of the Char’s Counterattack movie, based on Tomino’s original vision for the story.

2 Likes

Rau Le Creuset

rlc

2 Likes

how has this not already made it’s way here?

The other day, I was watching a YouTube video about a new miniature coming out for the game Infinity. The model the guy was talking about doesn’t matter, and doesn’t relate to Gundam, but what he said, and what totally blew my mind, was that the YouTuber pointed out that Japanese mecha, in anime and manga, are based on female proportions.

You look at a Gundam, and it tends to have somewhat enlarged shoulders, skinny arms, a narrow/tapered waist, some kind of skirt or covering over the hips/pelvic areas, and big thighs and long legs.

Here’s a random image of a Gundam I Googled:

Notice how the Gundam is bottom heavy instead of top heavy, how the waist is narrower, and how the robots have a “skirt” or plates covering the hips and pelvic region.

Now, look at this image of Chun-Li from Street Fighter:

Almost the exact same proportions! Chun-Li has poofy shoulder pads, skinny arms, a narrow/tapered waist, a skirt or covering over her hips and pelvic region, and thick thighs. Both Chun-Li and “normal” Gundams are bottom-heavy.

Compare your typical Gundam shown above to this image of an “American Football Player Gundam” from some show I don’t know the name of, but I’m sure someone else can identify:

Gundam02

Notice how this Gundam’s shoulders are huge, how while the waist narrows, it’s not as much as the Gundam above, and that just overall, the “American” Gundam" is very top-heavy.

This is why I’ve always thought that the Tau Battlesuit, from Warhammer 40K, looked so odd:

Growing up watching anime and reading manga, I’ve internalized the Japanese way to portray mecha, based on female proportions. The Tau Battlesuit looks so weird and ridiculous to me because it doesn’t follow the female proportions, it doesn’t look like a Gundam, it looks much more similar to the “American Football Player Gundam.” The Tau suit is incredibly top-heavy, with big shoulders and arms, a thick torso, no skirt or covering of the hips/pelvic area, and small spindly legs. I’ve never been able to put my finger on why the Tau Battlesuit looked so odd to me before, but now I know.

Gundam and Japanese mecha are based on female proportions.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk! :smiley:

3 Likes