GeekNights Tuesday - Nokosu Dice

Those dice are just d6, d8 and d12. There’s no reason to make those special dice. You can just make a reference chart which you will quickly memorize. You could also make an app in a web page to use virtual dice. You could also get blank dice and draw or carve on them by hand if you didn’t want to do a mass production run.

Oh, you could also rewrite the rulebook and replace all the symbols with numbers. Then use normal dice.

As a fan, you can slap some stickers on blank dice.

Dice molds are expensive. I doubt a legit company would step up without a license, but I further doubt anyone’s going to bother.

The dice are a bump in the activation energy necessary for me to have even started to be interested in FFG’s rpg offerings.

1 Like

If you use roll20 for your RPG needs at all someone wrote an excellent system plugin for it that automatically converts dice results to the face types for all rolling and character sheet macros.

https://wiki.roll20.net/FFG-SWRPG-Dice-Roller

Also I believe that FFG uses the same dice across their multiple custom dice using star wars games so if you had some from Xwing Miniatures those same dice can be used here.

Also FFG has a 5 dollar paid app that has dice rollers for their RPG as well as the other star wars games.

In the beginning of the Genesys books there already exists a chart translated the symbols to normal die faces. There already are virtual dice apps.

Also there are 4 starter sets that come with one package of dice. You generally don’t need more that 2 sets for the entire table.

I already work with someone at Zenkaikon who’s going into the custom dice business. I think you also under estimate how willing people who play RPGs are willing to spend on dice. considering precious metal and gemstone dice are real things people buy.

1 Like

Yep basically bought the starter kit, DM screen, and EOTE book plus one extra dice set and yeah 2 dice sets covers most instances.

One clever thing, I noticed was how FFG is combining the AoR and FoD to make a “Clone War” sub-setting.

I own nearly everything FFG has produced for the SWRPG and I also own a good chunk of the WEG Star Wars. Not so much with the WotC, because they tended to focus more on their d20 rules crunch than setting books.

I definitely enjoyed the published adventures for EotE as they covered a wide range of settings and character skills and all felt like weird jobs desperate for cash outlaws would take.

I would definitely play and run the setting again if I found another group interested. I did so much Star Wars EU stuff (books, games, dumb choose your own adventure subscription thing) growing up that its just reflex to GM what should happen in a given scenario for the setting. The only thing that comes close for me in terms of grounding in the setting is Cyberpunk Red or The Witcher RPG (both of which I bought at PAX Unplugged and need to finish teaching myself to run).

As much as I like Cyberpunk the setting. I’m leery of a Cyberpunk system from the original creators of the genre. The original combat system was pretty brutal, I know that was supposed to be the point at the time, but times change. The Cybertech/Humanity system rubbed me the wrong way in points. The whole “lose a limb but the replacement leads a loss of humanity” seems a little ableist. There was also a certain amount of “That’s not how computers and electronics work.” aspect to some of the cyber-systems. It’s like comparing a 1980’s calculator to a current generation smartphone.

I mean I hope I’m wrong and Cyberpunk Red addresses some of those issues in their modernization. The CP2077 game is a Day/week 1 buy for me (provided Epic doesn’t pull their bullshit) and this is coming from someone who never got into the Witcher beyond various fanart.

So in setting in the original books the Humanity cost for cybering up is representing the psychological cost of willfully cutting off your working arm, scooping out your born, functioning eyes, or otherwise dramatically altering your physical form via elective surgery. It was built-in to put hard limits to muchkin PCs. Red (from the jumpstart kit) does update both the mechanics and the ingame setting. You can wirelessly hack, headshots are still high damaging but less so than I remember in 2020, but it is still 80s cyberpunk in its tonal approach.

Witcher RPG is using the same core system (1d10 + Stat + skill) but obviously a very different setting. So far in my reading of the core book they did a great job incorporating stuff from the game and the books into the setting and made it with a lot of love.

Cyberpunk 2077 will not be an Epic exclusive (if thats what you mean). Its being self-published by CDProjekt on all platforms simultaneously including their own: GOG.com. If you wanna toss them the most money direct through GOG is the best way to go, but I fully understand keeping your games library in one place like Steam. Physical distribution in the west is being handled by WB interactive I believe.

FYI. For those who haven’t purchased it yet.

2 Likes