GeekNights Tuesday - Marvel Snap (2022)

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the surprisingly elegant Marvel Snap. Released this year on phones and PCs, it's essentially a flavor of Knizia's Battle Line (2000), itself in a narrow class of similar games of a shared lineage.

In the news, Ross Chastain changed the meta in NASCAR with "Some Video Game Shit," Embracer rebranded Square Enix Montréal as Onoma before immediately shutting Onoma down, Dwarf Fotress with Graphics is coming in December, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 disabled Steam Family Sharing, a feature you should probably be using.

Things of the Day

Episode Links

2 Likes

Live Stream:

On Patreon

Another similar game is Air, Land, & Sea by Jon Perry. It’s an 18 card game with 3 battlefields. Cards can be played face up to the battlefield matching their suit, or face down to any suit. Most cards have special effects that allow you to move them around. Control more battlefields by the end of the round to win. You can resign early and give your opponent less points, based on how early it is in the round. A PnP expansion even adds a doubling cube.

When Snap was announced, some thought it was one of the inspirations, but the team wasn’t aware of it at the time.

Get a Rusty costume going next year.

1 Like

Anyone want post their fave Snap decks? For whatever definition of favourite means to you?

I really like playing this deck that I call Low Tide:

Nightcrawler
Goose
Mojo
Domino
Rogue
Wolfsbane
Brood
Mr Fantastic
Silver Surfer
Captain America
Cosmo
Maximus

You likely want to retreat if you don’t draw Surfer, but it is very consistent, has a GREAT disruption package in Goose, Rogue and Cosmo allowing you a LOT of lane control and it is friggin hilarious when you have a full lane that includes Nightcrawler and you turn 6, move Nightcrawler out and replace him with a Mojo… :slight_smile:

If you are brave and have a good board setup, you can hold out until turn 6 to draw Surfer, but if playing to gain net cubes, you must retreat in almost any match without Surfer, unless you think you can snipe a Dino or Iron Man with your Rogue, or pull out the surprise Mojo.

Same trick also works with Wolfsbane, or Captan - Move Nightcrawler out, swap in the tanks.

Anyone else got some fun or cool decks?

I play mostly a KittMonSera Control,

It has Kitty, Sera, Kilmmonger, Angela, Hit Monkey, Shang Chi, Rogue, Mysterio, Luke Cage, Scarlet Witch, Sentinel, Bishop.

Bishop, Kitty, Hit Monkey and Angela are the power, Sera and Mysterio are help other cards, Scarlet witch adds chaos and Luke Cage, Killmonger, Shang Chi and Rogue are counters.

It got me to infinite this year. (that and a hela discard during a dark dimension)

1 Like

Conquest mode just dropped in the new update, and holy shit is it fun. This is what the game should’ve been all along.

Also, apparently the update is so good that it crashed their servers. So anyway, once everything is running again, get you that patch and get into the Proving Grounds.

1 Like