GeekNights Tuesday - Handicapping Games

Wow he reffed the Malice at the Palace!

Wow, tough to think of a bigger black mark on a resume than that.

Does anyone play non-chess board games with a chess clock?

Plus, it has the bonus of making people take their turn faster geez, would you go already?

Jenga

Does Go count?
15 characters of short board game names

Sure. Is that not standard practice with go? I kind of meant things more along the lines of Carcassonne or Hanabi. Now that would be an intense fireworks display.

It’s standard practice in competitive games of Go, or playing with friends who can’t make up their damned minds! Like the people I teach the game to, their beginners, 15 to 20 kyu, you don’t need 5 minutes a move!

1 Like

If you were a bookmaker and magically knew the final score of every game ahead of time, what do you set the spread at?

Not be a bookie and clean everyone else out?

Let’s say it’s NY vs. Philly. People are smart and 5 people bet on NY and 1 person bets on Philly. As the bookmaker you set the odds pretty close to 5:1. If Philly wins, you can divide the NY money among the Philly bettors, and vice versa if NY wins. And of course you take a cut.

If you know in advance that NY is going to win you want people to bet Philly. I guess you artificially raise the odds for Philly to win to like 10:1 to encourage people to bet and lose. But I guess if you go too far people will be suspicious and gambling regulators might take notice.

No, the spread. Everyone thinks NY is going to win by 14, but you know they’re going to win by 1.

If you set the line at NY -1, it’s a push and you don’t make any money.

I think if it’s just one game, you move the line toward the favorite half a point. NY -1.5 in our case. Everyone bets NY to cover, they fail by half a point. The house wins big.

Now, what if you’re handicapping a whole season? People would catch on if you nail the exact spread 16/16 games after… 1 week?

So do you try and disguise your knowledge? How far from the consensus do you stray for upsets?

Once people catch on, you could randomly pick +.5 or -.5 for every game. People bet evenly both sides and the vig takes care of things for you.

I think you’re better off placing bets than taking them in this scenario.