My company in the Boston area is still looking for experience C/C++/Linux developers. For my team, there isn’t a formal req for it as far as I know of, but it’s basically “if you know C/C++ and Linux, with maybe some Python on the side, you’re good.” For another team, here’s the info. There’s a lot of overlap between the two positions, so this could be a good idea of what my team is also looking for:
TITLE: Principal/Consulting Engineer, Platform Group
Analysis of requirements received from marketing, prototyping, project design, implementation, project lead or team member as needed, support the test effort. Contribute to and/or lead efforts to improve product architecture as needed. Ability to successfully lead large, cross-team projects with minimal direction.
5 years in similar roles with increasing responsibility.
• Deep Linux kernel knowledge, file systems experience preferred (especially xfs).
• Distributed systems performance analysis, including deep understanding of how components running on Linux affect system resources.
• Secure distributed systems data storage and messaging
• Experience developing high quality RPM or DEB packages (e.g. following Fedora or Debian project best practices)
We would really like the following skills too, but they’re not blockers.
• Modern virtualization tools (e.g. docker, etc)
• Modern automation tools (e.g. Jenkins, Ansible, etc)
• Cloud storage
EDUCATION: Relevant experience and demonstrated ability is far more important.