eSports

The thing about ratings is that…it is a HORRIBLE measurement about how many people are watching a program. An example, if you are in a city like Austin with over 1000 people in it, how many people do they keep track of to determine the rating…

Answer

6 people, and of those people they do not capture any other metric that would be beneficial to give the advertisers the information they need.

What they should do is have a company be powerful enough to have a chip phone phone via a wireless antenna to a satellite that capture every single thing that is being seen and report on THAT. That is what marking firms have been using the past decade but neisen is the brand name and makes it really hard for anyone else to do their job and surpass them.

What they should do is not invade people’s privacy and ban all forms of advertising.

1 Like

Sunday August 25th at 1pm Eastern on CBS.

Is this the first esport ever on a national US public broadcast?

When you say public, do you mean available to the public or paid for by the public?

If the first definitely not, else possibly.

I believe both starcraft2 and dota2 have been shown on espn2 in the past. lol, 2s flock together.

Public as on public airwaves. No cable or satellite required.

After starting to watch Overwatch League about a month ago, I’ve found this youtube channel “theScore esports” which is an offshoot from the canadian sports online publication theScore. And surprisingly, they are making some really good content which highlights some interesting stuff about esports I was wholly unfamiliar with. This video in particular had me incredulous the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7VnPVzuMto

Edit: Arslan Ash also won EVO 2019.

Traditional Pro sports make most of their money on the TV deal. For a long time eSports we’re willing to stream on whatever platform was free. The platform had the eyeballs.

Clearly the tables have now completely turned. The content creators own the eyeballs. Due to strong competition between the platforms, they’re going to pay big to get exclusive rights.

Re: what happens in the game stands - bugs and all…does this goal stand?

https://twitter.com/Guastella11/status/1234208495483797504

I’m normally in agreement with yourselves (hosts) 100% but actually torn on this :laughing:

I have to know what the rules of the tournament are to decide if this was a correct call or not.

Obviously the code of the game is not working as intended, so that’s a problem.

But also, under the default rules of competitive video games, when no other special tournament rules are present, is that the code of the game is the rules of the game. Full stop.

Yeah, it’s confusing here because the code of the game does not align with the real world sport it is simulating, and that’s almost definitely a bug not intended by the developers. But the game of FIFA isn’t “score more goals” it’s “change the area in memory where the score is stored to be the highest binary value possible without modifying the hardware or software”. If there’s some glitch where you kick the ball out of the stadium and suddenly the game gives you 256 goals, then that’s just as legit.

Also, EA continues to be garbage.

1 Like

Has anyone attended a live match for the Overwatch league?

I’m starting to see ads for the Washington Justice Overwatch team and I’m kind of intrigued, just for the novel experience, even though I’m not particularly interested in Overwatch itself.

I know someone who went and held up the sign for more women to be in the league. She said it was fun.

1 Like

I was considering attending a weekend in Paris in april which the Fusion will be part of, but the prices are a bit rich. 65€ a day, plus Paris is a bitch to get to by train and plane from where I live and quite expensive to stay so I am not really for it at the moment. Covid-19 going around in northern Italy with daily reports of individual cases in austria and germany doesn’t really make me want to attend big events either.

1 Like

Yeah, Covid-19 is really making me question if I want to go to any large events right now.

1 Like

Prudent decision by EVO.

There is only one esport I am following actively, the Overwatch League, and unfortunately it’s not looking good for it right now. For one Covid-19 did a number on the league and its plans for this year to move to the homestand model where teams would hold events and matches in their home cities with several other teams in attendance and playing the host and/or each other. The league has since set up a remote play system but due to the uneven spread of Covid-19 the schedule was also put off kilter and now the asian teams have a lot of games to make up. Mind that the majority of players in the league are Korean.

One of the teams affected is the Vancouver Titans, who dominated the league last year but only managed runner up in the playoffs. The team is owned by Canucks Sports & Entertainment but managed by Luminosity Gaming, and Luminosity is currently having some big issues. There is currently a dispute between the players and upper management pertaining to the support they are given. Rumor has it that they have played their last matches from their own homes rather than a team house the other teams are in because Luminosity didn’t organize one for them. Yesterday one of their players and the head coach (who was on the side of the players) left the team.

Even bigger news is the departure of Sinatraa, last year’s MVP who won a league title with the San Francisco Shock but left in order to play Valorant full time, a game that isn’t even released yet. Sinatraa won MVP last year largely on the back of his Zarya play during the time of the GOATS meta, which has since become “outlawed” as the league implemented a role lock system requiring two supports, two DPS and two tanks as positions. I don’t think Sinatraa actually had any significant play time this year or even last year after role lock was added. This is because the Shock are absolutely stacked as a team, having an incredible roster of DPS players and also some great tanks. Sinatraa is also an odd duck in that his two best characters are Doomfist and Zarya, two heroes that are rarely meta.

So while I don’t think Sinatraa’s departure is all that impactful from an play-standpoint, it is most certainly a black eye for the league overall, as now a lot of people are sounding the death knell.

On Wednesday the Vancouver Titans released their entire team.

I just feel bad for the former Runaway squad. If you don’t know who RunAway was (or rather still is, the team still exists in Korea), I highly recommend this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IxW2JuAuNY

The Titans are going to replace them with members of Second Wind, a north american contenders team. I feel kind of bad for them too, because I don’t think Vancouver is going to retain a lot of fans and is probably going to get a bunch of hate because of how this went down and the Runaway squad was very poplar.

I always got the impression that the Titans were not financially sound. Their organization itself wasn’t sustainable…

They’ve consistently had some managerial issues and got hit worse than most by COVID-19 restrictions. Apparently, they also recently signed a proven cheater who they also let go with this pass. Their org has been a bit of a mess, even though the team itself has been pretty solid.

Just watched the first match of this new Titans roster and boy, this is not looking great. There is something to be said about it being a new team and some of their players being on 200 ping and not in the same room. However, half their roster has been together with this coaching staff for 5 months. Still they were at best only even with the Washington Justice, a bottom tier team that is going through some major roster changes of their own, and still lost 3-1 to them.

I don’t have that much insight into other esports, but if its going to end the way it started this will be a new record for a team going from championship calibre to bottom feeder.