Drones

Anyone got one? Use them? What for?

Incidentally, I found out about this company today. Backstory - per FCC.gov:

Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment, including devices that interfere with cellular and Personal Communication Services (PCS), police radar, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), and wireless networking services (Wi-Fi).

Meanwhile, on Dedrone.com:

The jammer system will jam drones using GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, WLAN 2.4 GHz and from 5000-6000 MHz.

So, they’re super breaking the law, right? Can you get an exemption from the FCC?

[quote=“Starfox, post:1, topic:676”]
So, they’re super breaking the law, right? Can you get an exemption from the FCC?
[/quote]Yeah, you can - if you’re a Law enforcement agency or the Military, or you’re selling to them only. But if this is available to civvies, I don’t expect things to go well for them.

From their use cases:

Stadiums
Prisons
Government
Air Traffic
Utilities
Data Centers
Industry
VIP

Seems like… no.

It’s my understanding that even local and state agencies are still prohibited from jamming - only the feds have the authority. Wonder why these guys (at least think) they can market them.

Just saying. If you are going to use a drone for some sort of attack, you can’t be standing within range and remotely controlling it. Not only does that make the drone vulnerable to jamming, it also puts you near the scene of the crime.

Any attack drones should be pre-programmed to carry out their task completely autonomously. In order to stop it, it will need to be shot down. Of course, the authorities are already well prepared for this kind of attack. I read that they have snipers specifically looking to shoot down drones at events where they could pose a threat.

For once, the defense is way ahead of the offense. I don’t think anyone has ever carried out a successful attack via consumer drone.

Yet.

Seems like it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/world/middleeast/isis-drone-documents.html

Islamic State has used more than 80 remotely piloted drones against Iraqi forces and their allies. About one-third of the aircraft, some as small as model airplanes, dropped bombs or were rigged with explosives to detonate on the ground, said Col. John L. Dorrian, the spokesman for the American-led operation against the Islamic State in Baghdad.
Iraqi officials said bombs dropped by the drones, which were primarily quadcopters, had killed about a dozen government soldiers and injured more than 50.

That’s some pretty weak sauce security if that works on them.

“For once, the defense is way ahead of the offense. I don’t think anyone has ever carried out a successful attack via consumer drone.*”

*Outside of a war zone

This is the stupid stuff that gets ham-fisted anti-drone/RC legislature passed.

1 Like