Discover Awesome Racing 2.0

Put some wheels on the side and run the whole race like that.

“Millennials will know that what Chastain did was the preferred way to win a race at Martinsville on EA Sports’ NASCAR video games in the early 2000s when you had the car damage turned off. And Chastain referenced those video games after he climbed from his car.”

lmao

Extra info I learned. He set the track record for fastest lap by a tenth of a second. In a race, on the final lap, on a track full of cars, in a car that had already gone around so many times, he was faster than any car that had ever gone around the track ever. Including everyone who had ever qualified for pole position.

New strat.

Make a car that is just like smooth a frictionless on one side, that can withstand some impact against the wall.

Remove the brakes, that’s dead weight.

All throttle, no steering wheel.

Centrifuge FTW.

We have that. It’s called slot car racing.

1 Like

That is absolutely genius, what a legend.

When two people do their homework before a race. When a jockey does his homework! INCREDIBLE ride from Mickael Barzalona 😮 - YouTube

Really, 30 minute highlights of Indycar races is my favorite race-watching experience. The season opened with a banger too:

Yup

4 Likes

I haven’t kept up with the goings on with Formula E, this is a brief overview of how the series has developed and what challenges it is facing today.

I have a quibble. There are two races in Berlin each year, and the Saturday race was a fantastic race! Certainly in my top three races of the year (including all F1, Indy Car and FE).

But then in the Sunday race the next day (which I went to watch in person), all the teams and drivers had worked out the technique, and the peloton-style racing began, and it was one of the least interesting races of the year.

I didn’t watch the Portland race, but I can see how on a wider track it would have the same issues but worse.

I think they should lean into it. If it is getting too drafting-dependent, do a 40 lap race, but starting at lap 20, eliminate the last place car.

Keep eliminating the last place car each lap for 14-15 laps, then have a 5-6 car sprint for 5 laps at the end for the podium places.

It’s already a format in bike races: Elimination race - Wikipedia

I recommend this video on the same topic, especially if you are allergic to the meme-ification of YouTube videos like the previous video.

It’s a hardcore running format too.

1 Like

So you’re winning the Indy 500. It’s the final lap. Of course second place is right behind you. They have an aerodynamic advantage because they’re drafting you. They’ll probably use that to spring ahead of you and win by a hair. What do do you?

You do the dragon. Weave back and forth like a Chinese dragon so they can’t draft you.

Even better yet. Because of the shape of the course, you can start weaving way down by the pit lane to really get away from them. And that’s exactly Josef Newgarden did to win the Indy 500.

And now they are banning that. Or at least partially banning it. The weaving is fine, but the fact weaved so far out of bounds in the pit lane, that’s the part they don’t like. In the future they’ll be penalizing anyone who does that.

And it’s likely this rule will be called the Newgarden rule. Or the dragon slayer.

I’m surprised it took well over 100 years to figure this one out.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like it has anything to do with the weaving per se, but crossing over the line demarcating the entry to pit lane but then coming back out to the race track. I don’t know what the rules have been for that line, but it seems pretty obvious that it is a safety issue for cars to be able to cross over the dashed line without pitting and/or returning to the race track crossing the solid part of the white line leading into the pit lane.

If a car did that not to break the draft of a following car but because they changed their mind about pitting at the last second it should be equally undesirable for a number of safety reasons (safety of that car & driver as well as any cars behind).

I suppose the only thing that it took over 100 years to figure out was weaving so far as to cross over that line and that’s a pretty obvious oversight to not have better defined that line as an infraction point.

*Edit: found this in an article about that moment:

The moves are not against IndyCar rules, as the leading car is the instigator of the change of direction rather than making a reactionary blocking move, and there are no track-limit rules at IMS.
“They were very clear that they are not enforcing that [dotted pit entry] line, and they didn’t enforce it last year. They said they’re not enforcing it again, and I’m coming to the checkered flag and I’m going to do everything I can to win this race, and I had to be as aggressive as possible, because the tow effect to just the first car was even more difficult than last year.

Yeah, that’s a pretty dumb oversight to not enforce those lines as track limits.

1 Like