Cryptocurrencies and NFTs

The real NFTs were the friends we made along the way.

1 Like

I am hearing more and more these wishful and ignorant comments about existing or future proof of work schemes that are more environmentally friendly. It is literally incompatible with the whole idea of proof of work and a network of significant (sufficient?) size that massive amounts of energy will not be consumed to drive the wasted calculations. It is like saying that we just have to figure out how to make 1 equal to 2.

I suppose if it is 100% powered by renewable energy someone could make the claim that it is now green, but then there is still the wasted resources to produce all that silicon for the computation devices and probably the material for the solar panels / wind turbines / etc… powering it.

The prevailing logic I’ve heard is that if you reduce crypto’s energy cost to sustainable levels production will increase back up to current costs

Banning crypto should be added to the Paris Accords

1 Like

Even if you get rid of proof of work and go to proof of stake, and it works as it says on paper (nothing about crypto actually turns out the way it does on paper) you may solve energy problems, but still cause other problems. Proof of stake means you have to have crypto to get crypto. I guess it won’t be too different from our regular old capitalism where you have money to make money. But if it’s not too different, why have it?

2 Likes

Ubisoft is getting into crypto, yet another reason to not buy any of their games.

3 Likes

I think every AAA studio will be doing this sadly =(

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that buying any non indie game will be unethical to my principals.

Ubisoft has consistently bee the worst. Even worse than EA. Always doing the shadiest biz.

2 Likes

FACTS

8 Likes

No new arguments here for anyone following this thread or community. But just some reference material to bookmark in case you come upon someone who wants to know what is so bad about cryptocurrency.

Thread:
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1395403077100859400?s=20

6 minute video of an interview by the Twitter guy above on CNBC:

The aspect that did make me think was when he was explaining “why” the interest in and $$$ going into (and coming out of) cryptocurrency is so high right now is because overall the investment markets are overflowing with cash and so investors are looking for places to get a return on their money. I have been hearing for the past couple of years that VC money is being thrown around like crazy (see Uber, WeWork, and other startups with no sustainable business model) are getting ridiculous valuations simply because there is so much money available looking for that homerun return. I have heard that money is coming from the Middle East (diversify oil profits) and China.

It’s a consequence of inequality and greed. People have more money than is useful to have to buy anything. Even companies like Apple just have cash sitting around and nothing to do with it. Rather than pay employees more, they buy companies. But individual wealthy people who still want more, need something to invest in as well. They can even afford to lost money and not care. They can also just use crypto as a money laundering mechanism for their actual profits from crime. And if they’re lucky they can make a profit while laundering from coin prices going up! Great if you don’t care about being evil. This all is also a contributor to inflation, at least when it comes to any scarce goods.

2 Likes

There is a possibly more fundamental rot. Crypto exposes the true nature of most investment. Nobody cares about the fundamentals. If anything, having a real product is a liability.

What investors actually want is something they can invest in that will go up, disentangled from anything in the real world that could prevent it from going up.

This is capitalism in its truest and most realized form. Literally just invest in nothing.

6 Likes

A friend of mine put it succinctly: “number go up”

That’s it, that’s the whole of capitalism. Numbers in a database going up.

1 Like

So money is fucking Pokemon Go, and we waste all our time grinding :frowning:
Meanwhile, all the actual work that needs to be done barely pays.

1 Like
4 Likes

Reminds me of the Prodeum exit scam, except their “We got you, suckers!” message was just the word Penis in large text.