Cryptocurrencies and NFTs

Does incognito tab not work any more?

This works for all major browsers despite chrome being in the name.

I usually disable JS for the site in ublock origin.

This is the death knell, IMO. Apart from arguing any of the philosophy or society or personal freedom benefits, there is nothing to talk about as a “currency” when you have this problem:

Visa processes approximately 6,000 transactions a second and has the capacity to do many times that. Bitcoin can do seven. So Bitcoin transactions often take a long time to complete, which doesn’t work so well if you’re trying to use Bitcoin at the local convenience store or even buying something online.

*Edit: ok, not death knell, but major obstacle or end of the conversation as things stand today, IMO.

I kind of just want to make a centralized non-crypto currency.

Like, the simplest thing. Just setup a PostgreSQL database. Make a users table. Then make a transactions table. Create a simple API where users can submit transactions and if the other user approves the transaction, we make it happen and everyone’s balance gets updated.

The only question to be answered is, how do people get currency to begin with? If everyone starts with nothing, how does anyone get anything? If everyone starts with something, how do we stop people fro making a pile of fake accounts to get infinity cash?

Do you mean like real money or made-up FRCbucks? If it’s play money,

UBI. Everyone gets n FRC credited to their account every month.

Doesn’t address the fake accounts issue though.

Any kind of money. I’m kind of curious to see how people would use it if it was just there.

A UBI could work if we also had taxes. We have to take some money out of the economy to avoid inflation.

It’s your own system, (dis)incentivize away!

Nah it still works, but Medium won’t let me comment and incognito reading doesn’t update your account’s history to get better recs. To me the best parts about Medium’s hey day were the way creators, bloggers, normal people could all interact and respond with essentially essay length comments back and forth that made for some really interesting reading. Incognito reading Medium just loses most of what made medium interesting.

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s funny because it’s so literally, viscerally true.

Just to put bitcoin into a little perspective.
https://cbeci.org/cbeci/comparisons

Amusingly - Much like how they’ve primarily made money from selling Carbon Credits rather than cars, Tesla has also now made more money from bitcoin(after they invested, and the news of this made the price rise by 10%) than they have from selling cars.

I feel ill

This article doesn’t a decent job exploring the possible implications of this move. What I am interested in is what is motivating Nvidia to make this move. As far as they are concerned from a corporate / capitalist point of view, selling GPU’s is all they care about, regardless if they go to gamers or crypto miners. Maybe they want to avoid bad PR or gin up some good PR in the gamer world? Not sure how big that consideration would be for the corporate bottom line.

*Summary: Nvidia is going to limit the crypto hash rate on the new RTX 3060 cards and will release specials crypto mining cards in the future.

1 Like

From a business perspective they are trying to diversify their product so that they can meet the demand of their new customer base and stop it from competing with their old one. Maybe they’re going to charge a premium for the crypto GPUs?

I predict crypto miners are still gonna buy everything out because those guys are genuine scum.

1 Like

On Paper that sounds like a good idea, in reality this is going to lower the amount of graphic cards to be available for people to use (since those dies are going to these cards and not ones the public wants to have), and once those cards are done SO much eWaste will take place since you can not repurpose them in other machines. Also if I am making Billions of dollars you bet you ass I can hire someone to come up with a driver workaround to allow me to bypass this restriction. This is a PR stunt to try to get good will.

2 Likes

I agree with this to a point, most really huge miners are running custom silicon to make the most of it. The smaller … uhh … bespoke? … miners do still make a ton of cash but I don’t think have the resources to write their own drivers.
If they did I would think they’d have the ability to move to FPGA/ASIC bases systems and really make money.

Turns out the recommendation is to mine to get your money back.