Cowboy Bebop live action series on Netflix

This is just one review, but it’s not good:

The article contains some general spoilers, reader beware.

“This legacy, however, is something of an albatross around the neck of Netflix’s 2021 live-action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop. Netflix’s take on the show has a love-hate relationship with its source material, retaining the premise and almost every single character from the original and recreating and referencing memorable shots and scenes, but adding original elements like comically trite dialogue, embarrassing dramatic turns, and an original and unengaging plotline that only pull focus from the core story it’s trying to adapt. The result only creates unfavorable comparisons to the original and is likely to turn off both fans of the original and newcomers. If this Cowboy Bebop accomplishes anything, it’s to highlight the quality of the original series, justifying many anime fans’ belief that trying to translate anime series from one medium to another never works out.”

1 Like

I saw the first two eps on sneak preview last night and I’m not really sure what the critics problems are. I enjoyed both eps. It was super campy, fun and action filled. It doesn’t have the energy and color of the anime but it’s hard to compete in that realm with live action. I only assume folks think it should be an exact carbon copy of the original to work. Anyhow after 2 eps I enjoyed it!

1 Like

This is the impression I got from reading the critical review above. The primary complaint is that they’re doing stuff with it that changes the original story.

I’ll judge after I watch it myself.

I watched the first three episodes and I was having fun. Plenty of fun. The same sort of fun one tends to have watching goofball action-comedies. The serious bits have enough weight despite the cornball humor that you can get concerned about the dilemmas.

I do definitely see some corny bits esp. with Viscous; who I feel like the actor and script is trying really hard to have him be “Evil Geralt” moreso than what I imagine of some syndicate leader, and my vague recollections of the anime’s version who seemed to be more reserved and calculating.

The humor is a bit cheese ball and isn’t always natural but it’s done will enough to be fun if not funny.

I will say overall compared to The Witcher for example, this show does feel more like cosplay recreation than realistic reinterpretation. Spike’s signature suit is the most obvious, where it looks like he takes a lot of time each day to dress up and pop his collars just so. Even so rarely does it detract from the fun. And it makes sense that maybe he is just anal about having a certain aesthetic. I mean look at how badass the Syndicate suits are.

I’m definitely gonna keep watching it. It might be a bad adaptation for the anime fans who saw it 30 times now, but I haven’t seen the anime in almost 18 years which is buck wild to even contemplate, but this feels perfectly fine on it’s own terms.

1 Like

Yeah, that seems to be the dividing line. People going in expecting the original but with fleshy meatbags instead of drawings seem to have a real bad time, people who go in with appropriate expectations think it’s generally fun and enjoyable, though not without a few flaws here and there.

1 Like

I mean that’s what he does every day when also doing is like 4 hours of working out to maintain his fighting skills:-p

5 Likes

I finished the show this afternoon. At its best, I thought it was mediocre. I haven’t seen the animated version in at least 7-10 years, so I’m not just comparing the live-action show to that, I’m comparing it to television shows in general.

The show wasn’t particularly funny, the action wasn’t particularly good, and overall, the show was just kind of blah. Vicious was terrible and I can’t tell whether it was because the actor was just bad or because the script and his direction was ridiculous. While not comparing the live-action show directly to the animated version, I did find myself thinking that certain emotional moments which might seem fine in an anime just come off as ridiculous and stupid in a live-action show.

Up until the last episode, I probably would have rated the show a solid C+ or B-. The last episode was absolutely terrible though. Characters acting without clear motivation, stupid plot decisions, and just a general cheesyness throughout. For the climax of the show, it didn’t have any weight or gravitas and just seemed to plod along. I have serious doubts that I will watch a second season of this.

Overall, the show just wasn’t really that fun or that cool, which are the two things I remember most about the anime.

To those of you who enjoyed it, I’m glad you did, but I did not think this was a good show.

This is my impression so far after one episode. It’s not particularly bad so far. It’s fine, but not spectacular. I think the pacing is slightly slower than I thought it would be - the original show wasn’t quite so slow, but it flowed better I think.

“Cosplay recreation” nails my feeling exactly. It feels, honestly, fairly campy. The original show didn’t really have a campy vibe, it had a retro-future/used-future vibe - these are not the same thing. Camp is something else entirely, and is appropriate for tongue-in-cheek homage that you don’t take so seriously.

I’m not really watching other action TV right now, so I have no useful point of comparison for other shows that involve punching and guns. I will admit the fight choreography seems fairly casual, kinda what I would expect from a B-movie or low-budget exploitation movie. Maybe that’s what they’re going for? Seems to fit the “nostalgia” vibe they’re aiming for.

So yeah, it was fun enough and seems fine. I’d probably still recommend people watch the anime as their first contact with the property, but this seems to at least hit enough of the original to not be a bad choice. C+? B-? Somewhere in that range based on episode 1.

1 Like

Just leaving this here:

2 Likes

Yeah you’ll probably enjoy the whole thing about as much as you are now: with some highs and lows but overall walking away satisfied and maybe even slightly invested again.

I finished the season the other day and it definitely stuck in my brain more than some shows so I cannot say it was so bad? Regardless of quality, I had fun! The key is come to it with very little expectations or baggage and enjoy it as it is and there’s some quality stuff there.

The thing is, it’s campy for sure. The writing has some straight up terrible moments that should have been cut, and they’re just so cringe that you can’t help but go “ok they’re really going there now, wow. OK then.” Then there’s some writing that is bad but still funny. There’s some writing that borders on actually being as good as the animated series. Then it can get way too serious and angsty/edgy at times.

But still, taking it as it is, with the flaws and the awkward moments, I still had fun. I’d watch it again! (But I’m not itching to anytime soon)

I think a Season 2 could still be quite good based on what was working well this season, if they take a lot of the well-deserved feedback to heart when choosing writers for the next go-around. It could also be trash.

As far as casting, sets, the world building, it was quite good. It still feels a bit like cosplay but it is well done cosplay. And so at some point what’s the difference?

Now the one thing I kept thinking while watching this is “Some fans of the OG are doing to do a fan-edit of this show, and strip away the worst bits and re-organize some of the other bits, and make this amazing.”

1 Like

5 episodes in and my opinion is cemented, so now it’ll be a matter of how it continues. It’s fun, but not profound, and I think it’s presenting the story in a way that is pretty hamfisted, rather than with the elegance of the anime.

And again, that’s fine for a campy action show - I was just hoping they would go for sophistication instead of a romp. After adjusting expectations, I’m enjoying it as a fluff piece with familiar characters.

I’m actually kind of into the expansion of Julia and Vicious - it gives the story a somewhat larger scope, instead of the tighter focus of the anime. If it were going for a more nuanced presentation I think it’d be annoying, but since it’s a campy show, I think it sorta needs to show us a bigger story in order for it to have any impact. So I’m fine with it.

The casting of an older actor for Spike has definitely changed the dynamic of the relationships on the Bebop, and I think they’re leaning into it. Instead of Jet being paternal, he’s sort of the grizzled hard-boiled equal to the aloof guy. It’s more like a “buddy cop” vibe, where the two are equal and opposite. And again, that’s fine, it’s just not quite as complex as I was hoping for.

Vicious is painful. Way too hamfisted. Dude is trying way way way too hard to be evil, and he comes across as a less-credible threat than Lucius Malfoy (that’s who I think of every time he’s on screen). I’m trying to just sit back and enjoy how goddamn ridiculous he is, but honestly his lines and his delivery are so bad I can’t even. Julia’s fine though.

The fight choreography continues to be laugh-inducing. The fight with Hakim on the rooftop was just bad, like I was watching a community theater company make a kung-fu flick. But at least it was amusingly bad - it completes the campy vibe, so I can just go with it.

Jet, Spike, and Faye are all well-acted I think, so that definitely helps it a bunch.

So yeah: campy fun fluff piece without the sophistication of the original seems to be my final feeling. I do wonder how it would have landed had I not seen the original - but no way to tell now, so whatever.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a perfect description, he’s basically Geralt if instead of witchin’ he got really into cryptocurrency.

5 Likes

Finished.

I have some final thoughts

So, in the end, my final verdict is a solid “B” except that it completely fucked the landing so hard that I’m not sure I want to watch anything else from this team. I’ll likely get over it if there’s a second season, but the note they ended on was so entirely the wrong choice that I’m not sure they understand what made Cowboy Bebop so compelling in the first place.

The plot of the original is, if I’m going to be honest, nothing earth-shattering. It’s a western, there’s a guy with a past who’s trying to run from it, but it keeps coming back to haunt him, and eventually he has no choice but to face it in a final bid to escape from it - and he does, at the cost of his own life. That is a well-trodden story.

The thing that made Bebop so noteworthy - other than being an animation landmark - is in its superlative telling of that story. The anime didn’t give it away up front - it gave us a fun action show, and then gave us drops of the real story, gradually increasing over the course of the show so that by the time we reach the final two episodes, we’re watching something entirely different than where we started. It was an astounding display of storycraft.

So to bring us through the Spike/Vicious/Julia arc and to that bleak conclusion, and then end on a wAcKy ZaNy note with Edward, shows me that the writers don’t understand what made Bebop great in the first place. A great storyteller knows that they must consider the state in which they leave their audience, and emotional whiplash can work as a final note, but only if you’ve set up a sort of punchline. You cannot tone shift from Very Heavy Shit to Wacky Funtime and leave it at that, because that final note tells the audience that everything that came before is a farce, a disposable story meant to lead us back to where we started - wacky hijinx of capering bounty hunters. The intervening character growth is rendered moot because the writers have returned us to where we began, so why did we just go through all of that turmoil?

Edward should’ve been introduced in a previous episode, and they should’ve found a different way to create a season 2 hook that maintained the tone they spent so much time building up. And it’s a shame, because they really had something brilliant going on by the end, and they fucking bungled it.

What do I mean by “briliant?”

I really keyed in on the subversion of the existing plot that comes along with Julia seizing the reins of power. That is the kind of departure from source material that I actively want in reimagined media - tell me something different that makes me think about the source material.

I think that final arc was a commentary on the romantic anti-hero that is Spike and tropes like him. Vicious is clearly a bad guy, but in that climax Julia also shows Spike how much the two of them are alike. “Why didn’t you come for me” followed by Vicious’ line “I told him you chose me” lays bare the truth - Spike isn’t in love with Julia so much as he is with his ego. She realized she was a playing piece being moved around by two men more interested in their relationship to one another than they are in their relationship to her, and she had enough of it. Spike confirms that what Vicious said is true - “I shouldn’t have believed him” means that he did - and so we see that Spike’s romantic pursuit of Julia was entirely self-serving, having nothing to do with her own safety like he promised those years ago.

That’s a terrific indictment of some of the problematic tropes in Spike’s character, and it’s consistent with the main theme of Bebop - that we cannot resolve our pasts by running from them, and that instead of chasing a dream, we need to confront the things we have left in our wake in order to move past them.

Spike and Vicious were caught up in their pasts with each other - this was cemented in the final episode when Spike commented that he only seemed like an angel when he was next to Vicious. Spike’s entire image - the entire identity of Fearless - is a construct that resulted directly from his relationship to Vicious. “Cleaning up” after him, keeping him in check, being his “better half” - everything Spike did to build himself required him to be a counterpoint to Vicious. And so, his pursuit of Julia was an extension of that, whether or not he realized it.

This inability to move on from a past they’ve idealized is present in all of the main men, including Jet. He kept trying to be part of Kimmie’s life, but IMO his real motive was trying to win back his ex by being the father he should’ve been in the first place. And in that final scene where Kimmie calls the other guy “daddy,” we get a gut-punch of truth - sometimes you’re just too late. Jet spent his time chasing a dream that was already dead, idealizing a version of Kimmie, his ex, and a life that no longer existed. He chased the father figure trope - the one that Jet occupied in the anime - and in the end failed to grasp it because he wasn’t invested in the situation as it actually was. A broken man trying to grab ghosts of the past - heart-wrenching stuff, and the show lets us know that he failed because he refused to move on and accept reality.

That’s all meaty stuff right there. Julia literally puts a bullet in all that, showing Spike and Vicious that you have to confront the reality of your past in order to actually escape it. She realized that she could never be free so long as these two remained in their conflict with each other, so she put a stop to it. I cannot state enough how brilliant a subversion that is.

And had the show ended on that, I could be convinced to say it was almost as good as the original, all other problems notwithstanding. I forgive all kinds of storytelling trouble if you take me somewhere emotionally compelling, give me something to think about, and stick the landing - but to have something good and then not understand what makes it good is unforgivable. You have to understand your source material and what makes it great, or else what you will crank out is mediocre at best.

So close. So so close to brilliance.

5 Likes

Well said. Hard agree with basically all of that. For me I’m even willing to just overlook that final scene as if it was just a post-credits bonus. It should have been a post-credits bonus and that’s what it feels like. I would not be surprised if that was the intent, and Netflix (or someone) was like “post credits fucks up the program so it has to go first.”

4 Likes

Something I haven’t found talked about much (maybe just the circles I run in), that really rankled me with this adaptation, is the treatment of Faye. She was more overtly sexualised in the anime for sure, but this adaptation turned Faye from a deeply traumatised woman trying to find her way in a strange new world into a shallow trope guaranteed to be loathed by all viewers. No shade to the actress, honestly I think all the actors did an incredible job with what they were given (this especially includes the actor playing crypto-Geralt, I feel like he absolutely understood the show he was in).

On another note, my husband still murmurs to himself from time to time “why was the tree full of cum?” and I ask myself the same question. It’s going to take a long time to forget that.

Hah, the literal next thing I saw after I posted that was the following tweet: https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1469082839882862599?s=21

F

Well, that was probably inevitable. I’m a bit disappointed, but I was also disappointed in the show, so eh.

I’ve heard this elsewhere and I just…didn’t get that from her. I thought she was more or less the same Faye, but more smart-assed. It’s possible that the script laid it on too thick - we all have that one friend who trots out the joke one too many times - but I didn’t find her any more bothersome than any other character.

Then again, I did just finish the show and still have the taste of that final scene in my mouth - so anything less obnoxious than that just doesn’t register.