Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Yes if your gaming purpose is 50% or more.
Don’t get a TN monitor.

Make sure you have the frame rendering power to output the frame rate required or higher.

If you ever drop frames it will never be under 60fps.

You’re either going to get 4k or 144hz with your extra video card performance.

So I’ve got a weird problem. When I try to transfer files to my SD card I get an error 0x80071ac3. It tells me to run chkdsk, so I did, and it found no problems. I still got the error. I rebooted, I still got the error. This happened last time I wanted to transfer an album onto the card, so I formatted it and recopied everything over thinking it would end there, but now it’s happening again. I switched the SD card to my other SD card, and the problem persisted. Is there something I can do so that I don’t have to format my SD card every time I want to add something to the card?

Is it formatted as exFAT?

Yes.

Fifteen characters.

Yeah, ExFAT is kinda garbage. Format it as FAT32.

1 Like

Welp looks like my video card died. Reinstalled windows everything seemed fine (except I got some weird permission denied errors for some files I backed up which I’ve never had happen before but I was able to fix that) but when I tried putting the video card back in, no such luck. Just a blank screen this time. So, anyone have any experience with MSI’s warranty around here? It’s a 1050 so it’s recent enough it that should be covered, I’m just hoping it wasn’t somehow my fault and be out ~$100. I’ve got my old slow gt 610 in there and it seems usable for now, though it is tempting to try and find something better used on the cheap but I don’t want to spend money on one I won’t need if it’s going to get replaced.

What? It allows files bigger than 2GB…

So does FAT32 these days. All of my camera SD Cards are formatted as FAT32 and I regularly record videos 8-10GB in size. ExFAT is pretty good at getting corrupted in my experience.

I meant 4GB (2^32). I think that’s a hard cap intrinsic to the filesystem:

Maximum file size: 2^32 minus 1 bytes

Maybe your camera makes bigger ones, but then it’s doing some shenanigans, splitting into multiple files or something.

You know what, I went back and looked at my archive footage and you’re right. No single file gets past 4GB. Right up to it, sure, but not past.

Still, exFAT is garbage. No exFAT volume I’ve ever used has failed to self-corrupt in some way or another.

Similar anecdotal experience with exFAT, which is kinda frustrating because there are reasons I have to use it sometimes. It usually works fine, but seems to fail randomly much more than other file systems.

On top of the 4GB file limit, FAT32 also has some volume size limitations, some things only like 32GB or smaller, not that it should matter for most use cases.

I have a secret to making sure all my camera SD cards always have the right file system with no problems.

Let the camera do the formatting, not the PC.

If you format them in-camera, and still have frequent problems, either the cards or the cameras are busted and you have to get new ones.

1 Like

Anyone have any thoughts on RAM speeds?

I’m looking at building a new machine for work for processing drive images. I think I’m going with an i7 7700k, evo 960 pro, and probably 32GB of RAM.

Just wondering if it’s worth the 15% extra or so for fancy RAM.

If cost is an issue, you can always start out with 16GB of fancy RAM and upgrade later. That’s more or less what I did.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk
Spoiler alert: It doesn’t.

1 Like

Yep. I always get the non-OC ram. Whatever is the “correct” speed for the motherboard/CPU combo that I have. If you need help figuring out what that speed is, I can show you.

Yeah, that’s more or less what I figured, Last time I’d done any research was a few hardware generations ago so I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Stability is more important than shaving an hour off a 2 day job anyway. I can just put the difference into a better case / cooler.

I think I know what you’re talking about, but in case I don’t, could you show me?

Ok, so here is the featured motherboard on Newegg right now:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128961

You go to the specs, and in the RAM section it says:

4×288pin

DDR4 4133(O.C.)/ 4000(O.C.)/ 3866(O.C.)/ 3800(O.C.)/ 3733(O.C.)/ 3666(O.C.)/ 3600(O.C.)/ 3466(O.C.)/ 3400(O.C.)/ 3333(O.C.)/ 3300(O.C.)/ 3200(O.C.)/ 3000(O.C.)/ 2800(O.C.)/ 2666(O.C.)/ 2400(O.C.)/ 2133

64GB

Dual Channel

Ok, so I want 32GB of RAM. I have no choice but to get 288 pin sticks of DDR4, because that is what will fit in that motherboard. All the speeds have OC next to them except for 2133, so 2133 is the speed I will get. It supports dual channel, so I will get two sticks. Also, because it has 4 slots, two sticks leaves me room to grow.

Therefore, I would put this RAM in that motherboard:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232243

3 Likes

I see, all other ram speeds would be overclocking the ram.

Thank you.