Climate Change

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

lol “disappointing court decision”

When I saw this last night I was going to run some numbers to figure out how possible it would be to do those thing.

But then I found my senses and googled to find out if someone else ran the numbers, so I could save myself some time.

My gut number was a million times more energy then what falls on the earth every second.

Well, unsurprisingly, my gut was wrong. I was under by 3 orders of magnitude.

These are power levels that are beyond StarTrek and StarWars levels of “technology”. It’s in the “If we had a 100% efficient Dyson Sphere it’d still take millennium to collect enough energy to do it.”

You’ll be happy to discover the Kardashev Scale:

1 Like

It is a truly ludicrous amount of energy required to move our planet. But my brain thinks of the problem from the other angle. Our planet is already orbiting and moving. So is fucking Jupiter. A force long ago set us in motion. The power of that force is what is truly incredible. The power to shift our orbit is a pittance compared to the energy that got us spinning and orbiting in the first place. It spun us so long ago, and we are still fucking spinning.

As for a Dyson Sphere, it would be collecting all the energy of the sun produced by its nuclear fusion reaction. But trying to shift our orbit would be fighting the gravity of that very same star the sphere is surrounding. Gravity is the true power that nuclear fusion can not even hold a candle to. If we want to move the orbit of the earth we can’t do it with fusion, we need to do it with gravity. We need another ludicrously massive object to pass us by at a precise location, distance, and speed such that it pulls us away from the sun a bit, but then is gone before it has a chance to steal us entirely.

Also of interest:

They really mean destroy.

Yeah, I wasn’t even going to how to move us, I just wanted to math the amount off energy that would have been required.

My first degree is in physics, the how is an engineering problem that I’m not terribly concerned with because the amount of energy required is so stupendously vast that there is 0 hope of humanity to ever have access to even a fraction of it.