Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy and other American Football issues

CW: Video of people being brain injured.

https://twitter.com/ChrisNowinski1/status/1616101814830505985

There’s this new slap fight show. No surprise, people forced to take slaps to the face/head get severely injured. At least in boxing and mma you are allowed, and even expected, to dodge or block.

Yeah, I saw the video yesterday. Absolutely stupid and exploitative.

Chris Nowinski, whose twitter account you are linking to, is btw a professional wrestler who retired after suffering from post-concussion syndromes. He has since become an advocate for prevention of head trauma in the NFL and other contact sports such as wrestling, and got himself a degree in neuroscience in 2017.

1 Like

I can’t even believe this is allowed. At least with boxing they are supposed to have commissions that determine what is and isn’t allowed. Who allowed this? What next? The barge?

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20061214/the-barge/

Random recommended video that was a podcast with Chad “Ocho Cinco” Johnson. Really good conversation.

I saw some Ochocinco headlines recently about how he was literally living at the stadium for some time. Is this where those stories are coming from?

15 Characters of Yes.

If only we had a functioning government that could do things quickly. This could have been done over a decade ago, and might even get done soon. All those years of children could have their bodies less damaged.

1 Like

Engaging through experiments that I would be one board with if it happened.

The clown has doubled down.

I’d be surprised if in a few years, these Head Impact Trauma sensors aren’t mandatory at downhill and enduro mountain bike races. They have an indicator light system to warn other people that the rider has had a big crash, which is super important because the person who bumped their head always underestimated how bad they bumped their head.

NFL: “things must be broken, they always say big impact”

1 Like

Meanwhile the Canadial Football League is going with some really wild helmets. Obviously most of the discussion is around the aesthetics of them. I’m more curious if they will actually make a difference.

These findings suggest that NHL enforcers with 50 or more career fights or 3 or more penalty minutes per game died 10 years earlier and more often of drug overdose and suicide when compared with age-matched NHL player controls.

Ban fighting.

Controlled for age, number of games played, height, weight, and position too.

Muhammad Ali fought 61 times.

Chris Nilan fought 300+ times.

Ban it already.

It seems that the conventional wisdom of resting in a dark room, is not a good way to recover from concussions.