Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy and other American Football issues

Hockey fans are mad and don’t like this, but to oppose this recommendation is to say that children having brain damage is an acceptable price to pay in exchange for sports competition and entertainment. If that’s the position people want to take, at least have the guts to own it.

Sports YouTuber funnyman UrinatingTree made a surprisingly serious video today.

1 Like

I used to be a huge American Football fan, mostly college football but the NFL was alright. Since I quit watching it a decade ago, for CTE and many other reasons, I find it more difficult each year to even pretend to care when other people want to discuss it in social small-talk situations. Partially, because my knowledge of who the notable players are and which teams are up or down these days, but mostly because it is harder to overlook the many issues in the sport.

Back after just two weeks. Can’t do anything but smh.

If he gets concussed like that again, is he…dead? I’m no neurologist but sure seems like dude shouldn’t be playing yet, or ever again.

If the worst case happens and he suffers another very severe injury on the field in front of the whole nation/world is that going to actually change anything? If what happened already wasn’t enough, then will anything be enough? I have to take the cynical route and say no. Even if he, or anyone else, where to die, or become brain dead, on national television, I don’t think it would result in real change. It would just get your usual thoughts and prayers, charity, all talk no walk response that always happens. Because anything else will just cost very wealthy people to lose a lot of money, and they would rather pay with someone else’s human life than with their own dollar.

1 Like

Maybe one day we’ll just do away with the artifice and just start airing The Running Man or maybe Battle Royale/Squid Game

In some ways it would be more acceptable because at least nobody is lying to themselves about watching people die for their entertainment.

Yep, I 100% agree at this point. If this society can live with the threat and reality of gun violence and keep going on as we are, this attitude towards the risks and injuries of American Football will not crush the sport. This is toxic masculinity as a lifestyle. The acceptance can’t be reasoned with. This is why I am so done with the sport, can’t even keep up polite water cooler conversation about it.

1 Like

They’d have some nice Tua patches on their jerseys for half a season.

1 Like
1 Like

By the way, running a drill through your head might cause brain damage.

dss00

nine of McCrory’s articles were retracted from prestigious medical journal the British Journal of Sports Medicine and 74 more had “notices of concern”.

What is this guy, the smoking scientist?

Also Guardian not spelling out that AFL is Australian Football League, come on.

I am shocked, shocked.

A guy just was administered CPR on the field for 9 minutes after taking a hit.

NSFL

He made it to the hospital in critical condition, the game is postponed.