Cheaters

If you’re just here for the technicalities like I was:

• Instead of live video, Trackmania records are replay files of a run generated by the game, containing exact inputs.
  • There’s a tool to show the throttle/brake and steering inputs while you watch one of those replays.
  • Some records had inputs that look awfully TAS-y.
  • They scanned many (all?) uploaded records, and noted the ones with the most egregious input swings.
  • Confronted with the evidence, some runners have admitted using a cheat program to slow down the game to achieve those really fast inputs.
1 Like

Olympic time! You know that means it’s time for all the cheaters to come out of the woodwork.

First up, controversy over ski jump apparel.

Not sure if this quite fits into the cheating category, but it certainly might. I know next to nothing about ski jumping and its equipment rules. But if the rules are the same between the Olympics and other competitions, and the competitors aren’t lying when they say that their equipment hasn’t changed, then there only remain so many possible explanations for this. Where they cheating at those other competitions? Were the Olympic judges incorrectly disqualifying them (perhaps to the benefit of others that they favored?) Who knows!

Next we have this video.

If you’re not sure what to look for, you can see that the Chinese speed skater in the back grabs one of the black markers and flicks it towards one of the Canadian skaters causing them to fall. Based on this video and no other context whatsoever, it certainly looks intentional. Supposedly they suffered no consequences for this.

I don’t want to link to the place where I found this video because it is full of anti-Chinese racism. I find it extremely laughable and disgusting that racists from the country that brought you Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong, the Houston Astros, etc. dare accuse other countries or races of somehow having cheating in their nature. It’s hard to Google any country with a significant competitive athletic culture and not find some big time cheaters.

Last up we have ROC (not Russia!) women’s hockey.

TL;DR:

Canada vs ROC. Canada does not take the ice because ROC COVID tests haven’t come in yet. After a long wait they agree to take the ice while voluntarily wearing masks. We’re talking full N95. Anyone who complains about a mask being uncomfortable and is doing anything less strenuous than Olympic ice hockey can shove it up their behind.

The test results finally showed up during the second intermission. ROC returned to the ice without masks. Canada returned with masks. Of course Canada won. They’d probably win if they were wearing a ball and chain.

What at first appeared to be shenanigans turned out to be slow testing at the lab. All kinds of conspiracy theories swirled for no reason. But wait! The day after the game we have a positive test from ROC. Conspiracy theories all got a jolt from the defibrillator.

4 Likes

Short track: blueshell but with Olympic medals at stake.

Another one.

Wonder what it would take to straight up ban them, instead of “ROC”.

1 Like

Even in the grainy gif version it is unmistakeable. Flat tires happen. Accept it and whatever the results happen to be. The poor finish will soon be forgotten and nobody will think less of you. Doing this will not be forgotten, and your reputation will be permanently tarnished. If you must cheat, at least do a better job of it!

When the PEDs just aren’t enough.

REALLY sticky water bottle

Sticky everything.

Interesting case here. What he did was a clear violation of the rulebook as written. The penalty of disqualification is what the rules called for. I just think it’s somewhat questionable how much this was helping him, if at all.

Matuyama’s team had already been warned apparently. Their response was that they thought it only applied to drivers.

If playing golf is literally your only job, and you even have a team of people helping you, you should know the rulebook even better than the judges do.

Many do, in the same way that NASCAR engineers know the rule-book better than many judges. One of the most time-honored ways to gain an advantage in golf is knowing precisely how much pressure one can apply to bending the rules, before they break, or how to break them in novel ways that nobody is watching for.

Of course the other time-honored ways are mostly just cheating in the traditional sense, ranging from gimmicks(stuff like magnetized putters to pick up the marker and move it a few feet forward when nobody’s paying attention) to the old classics like picking up and “Inspecting” a lost ball in a bad lie before dropping it in a more favorable one, or using a practice swing in a bunker to swipe sand away from or move your ball.

But anyway, the point is - every single pro golfer, retired or current, has cheated on the course, during a pro game. Might have been small, might have been big, but cheating is absolutely endemic in the sport.

1 Like

Oh baby! This is the ultimate dream in terms of cheating content. I don’t know how to possibly top this, but I’m sure the Internet will eventually find a way.

And in case you are wondering, the large amount of anger is because the prize pool for these tournaments is very large. We’re talking six figures here.

Yeah, IIRC the guy in question had won a 150k fishing boat in the previous Tournament, so needless to say they’re not playing for beer money here.

BBC notices that there are three cheating scandals in the news right now, and combines them into one article. The are the two I knew about, chess anal beads and fishing weights. There’s also a poker one as well.

Also to be clear - The poker one isn’t actually cheating. It’s a row because a guy who fancied himself a shit-hot poker player got read like a dime store novel and absolutely outplayed by a woman, so now he’s throwing a massive tantrum and accusing her of cheating.

Fun facts- The guy making the accusation, Garrett Adelstein, Was also on the reality show Survivor. He lost because he refused to take his immunity idol to the Council, because he was convinced that he was too valuable to the tribe, that he was the leader of the group, and therefore couldn’t possibly be voted out. He was immediately voted out.

1 Like