Cellular Phones

Do iPhones not have Qi/wireless charging the same as androids? Or does it need the magnet to click on?

I believe they first added Qi wireless charging in iPhone 8, and still have it in the 12 series. However, the 12 series added the additional option of MagSafe charging, which is harder/better/faster/stronger compared to Qi.

Qi is a fucking mess of a standard, so that’s not hard.

We have our tiny phone!

1 Like

Anyone got any good car wireless charger recs? I had this iOttie and it worked great before my car went into the shop 2 weeks for body repairs and when I got it back it was dead. Loath to deal with a lengthy warranty claim over a 50 dollar item but equally loath to rebuy it so looking for something else with fast charging for my Pixel 3

I ordered a new iPhone 13 Pro, to replace my slowly dying iPhone X. And hopefully also to replace my 8 year old DSLR camera for general video and vlogging projects. My old camera can only manage 1080p and the iPhone Pro was the best/cheapest camera I could find that can do what I need at 4K and 60 frames.

1 Like

New iPhone. I didn’t think the slightly larger screen would be noticeable, but it’s super noticeable! And not in a good way! In a “can’t reach the top right corner with my thumb” way.

Amazing cameras though.

Uh oh…

Slightly old video but nice round up on phones with a keyboard on it

Nokia’s new phone comes with its own self-repair kit.

lol

1 Like

Public charging stations are now compromised.

This is nothing new. For many many years I’ve always carried a PortaPow data blocker while traveling. Also known as a USB condom.

http://portablepowersupplies.co.uk/

Basically is just connects the USB power pins, but disconnects the USB data pins.

The one I have is the original A to A. They do have newer ones for USB-C, however, there is a problem. USB-C requires use of the data ports to negotiate the charging voltage. With those disconnected you are giving up any sort of special high voltage fast-charging capabilities your device might have.

That’s fine, though. Using this is already a last resort. I’ve actually used it quite rarely. I can almost always get by with my own batteries or with my own charger on an electrical outlet.

Also, at least with iOS, if you plug into a shady port that tries to do anything you should see a pop-up message asking if you trust the device/accessory. If you don’t see that pop-up, it’s likely that it’s just providing power anyway. If you do see it, simply saying no should be enough to keep you safe and let you charge. The PortaPow is a safer bet though, since you never know if someone found an exploit to get around the trust confirmation dialog.

2 Likes

I have something similar, but a bit more homebrew - I have a cable where I just ripped out the data pins, and then put a tiny little non-conductive epoxy coat on the left-over nubs. I should buy a better one at some point, but for now, it does the job.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have something to do this in the future as they already have one with a chip for doing this over USB A.

Yes, having a trusted intermediary perform the negotiation is not the worst technique, and probably safe. The problem is that it’s not foolproof. As soon as the data pins are connected, the MITM device itself can potentially be compromised.

I’ll take the simple, cheap, smaller, guaranteed to be 100% effective solution over the complex, more expensive, larger, and only mostly guaranteed solution. I’ve not once in my life been in such a rush to charge something faster than whatever rate it was charging at.

That’s fair and true for most folks. I’d say people who travel constantly for a job, like a pilot or Golgo 13, might need the fast charging a bit more urgently but even then they probably have better methods, like a power bank, due to the nature of their lifestyle.

I hope this is real. Go EU go!

1 Like