Cellular Phones

The idea of people wanting bigger and bigger smart watches runs into a fairly hard ergonomic limit. As well as just the fact of fashion. Phone size has no such hard limit because there’s so many different use cases they can get away with various form factors. And from a style perspective if they’re all big dumb rectangles with a case then it doesn’t really matter if it’s 4.9 or 5.3 inches.

Yes some people benefit from a compact phone and fashion plays into that from a storage perspective but until you get really small it’s still a big brick in a pocket or bag, so in for a penny in for a pound.

Offer a massive smart watch and the outcry of how ridiculous it is would just drown out the three people who want to flash their wrist pancakes.

Should compact smart phones be marketed? Absolutely. And I have seen multiple attempts and designs for the come around only to never hear of them again. I can understand why.

Personally I’ll take the big phone as a do-all device.

I would like a smaller phone but I would need to have both phones seamlessly identical in every way. I should be able to put down the phablet, pick up the smaller phone, and they just know which one is now primary. If I grab the compact one for a jog it needs to have all of the same content and apps and use the same phone number. If I stop at the cafe and download a new app while hanging out, and then tomorrow go out with my big phone it needs to have that app already installed as if I had had it with me yesterday. If I draw some concept sketches on the Note, I need those to be saved and then loaded onto my small phone at home.

I don’t have mental space to juggle keeping 3 different computers, 2 phones, and a tablet all updated and concurrent. Until we have ways for everything to be seamlessly synced between at least the phones (and tablets) then I’m going to go with the minimal amount of hardware, which means just living with a Note which does everything.

Ideally I could have 5 or 10 physical devices, each tailored for each use case and then they all just access the same “space” when I swipe in.

1 Like

There are solutions for this, they just involve enterprise software that isn’t made to fit a single consumer’s budget or expertise.

There are solutions for this, they just involve enterprise software that isn’t made to fit a single consumer’s budget or expertise.

As soon as you can’t access most of the screen with your thumb while holding the phone one-handed, it’s become a UX problem.

5 Likes

Says who? What is wrong with two handing for anything other than talking on the phone?

1 Like

Agreed. I need to be able to comfortably use my phone while standing on a cramped subway and holding a rail with my other hand. My fingers are a little short, so 4.7" us the absolute limit for this.

I’m single handing this post right now on my Note. It’s doable. Not perfect. Sometimes I do go for the “gut check” for more stability. And hitting the far keys can be a challenge at times. Most of the time I go for dual thumb typing tho. Nice and fast. And I enjoy having more real estate in those cases.

Interesting, if unexpected, news:

2 Likes

I switched to T-Mobile from Verizon. We have shit service at home because we live in an ancient meteor crater but everywhere else is great and unlimited data and $40 a month less.

I want to believe :alien:

2 Likes