Cellular Phones

I’m willing to bet that this is because it’s a plastic screen and the vast majority of phones have had glass screens for the last decade, we just don’t recall what it’s like to have them now.

I actually got the Harmony 350 universal remote a year ago, and have been pretty happy with it. It was the cheapest/lowest end model at the time. There were some slight issues with the inelegant software, but I eventually figured them out. I now have one remote to control everything. It even works with weird stuff like my optical audio switcher.

I’d probably buy something like that, but I genuinely don’t have enough devices that use a remote to really worry about it. You have spoken about your Harmony Remote before though, rather glowingly, it’s part of why I’d buy one if I had a use for it.

If you’ve only got normal stuff in your home theater, I would get a more basic universal remote. I don’t even come close to using all the buttons on this thing. It’s not the best at being a remote, just the best at being truly universal. I have weird-ish stuff, so I had to go that route. In the end one ok-ish remote control is better than three remotes that weren’t anything to write home about either.

Oh, I mean I don’t have ANY use for one. Literally the only thing I have that even needs a remote is my Stereo, which I don’t really use. No TV(we have two in the house, both owned by my housemate, I pretty much never use either, barring occasionally plugging my switch into the big TV upstairs), no home theater, none of that. The only thing we have in the place that is even remotely like it is the TV upstairs, which has a separate soundbar, but since they’re both Samsung, they work off the same remote once they’re cabled together anyway.

This pixel 3a looks good (for an Android phone).

Reasonable price. One of the models is “normal” size. Still too big, but meh.Terrific camera. Lacking, but sufficient, in all the other areas like performance and such. Comes with normal up to date Android with no BS. Headphone jack. $400.

1 Like

This is why I have two xperias. The xz1-compact is so good, no other Android phone is even close. Small, has a fantastic camera, etc…

I was starting to think my next phone would force me to have to give up the headphone jack. Glad to see they decided to keep it around in the Pixel 3a.

Google’s Android phones are pretty much the only worthwhile Android phones for various reasons.

1 Like

Pretty much. Since I could stop affording crap phones, I’ve pretty much stuck with Nexus/Pixel devices. The Pixel 3 was a pretty big disappointment, but the 3a looks like a good upgrade to the 2.

Is it though? Looking at the raw specs it seems like it’s on par with a Pixel 1.

Of course, the main reasons to go with a Google Android phone as opposed to anyone else’s Android phones are:

1. Far less likely to have crapware installed on them
  2. Far more likely to get timely critical security updates

You’re also free to root them and do basically whatever you want to them without risk of bricking.

1 Like

I’ve been on the Nexus/Pixel train since the Nexus 5, it’s been awesome the whole way through. I can’t sing their praises enough.

Pretty much the only negative I can say about the entire line is that the Pixel 3 wasn’t ENOUGH of an upgrade over the 2 to matter.

I’m still using Pixel 1. It has been a great phone and I haven’t had any problems with it.

I have two issues though I think they are both my own fault. One is that USB C has a similar problem to DisplayPort in that power bricks are -supposed- to adjust voltage for the pull of the device but cheap manufacturers don’t do that. Long and short I used a tablet PC charger to charge my phone and borked the battery. The other is I have some burn in of the keyboard and top status bar but that is because I literally use my phone for hours on end every day.

I’m still using the charger that came with my phone. No battery issues for me.

Oh I only did it a few times I forgot my actual charger at work and used my work 2 in 1 laptop charger to charge it. Taught me a good lesson to only use appropriate chargers.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s your fault! Or don’t blame yourself too much. It’s bad design to have a cable that can pump more power than a device can take, and it to be both indistinguishable and 100% physically compatible.

USB C is great in many ways, but it isn’t suitable for all uses, especially if those uses may end up with broken phones.