Cameras and Such

The content of this video is meh. Just a guy doing a photo shoot with a model and another guy selling cameras. But what’s important is the video itself. This is a live stream from the camera over wifi to a phone over 5G to YouTube. 1080p 60fps 8megabits per second. Over the course of this entire video the camera battery only gets about half used.

I am getting this, and we are doing it. What kind of IRL streaming content should we do? Obviously stuff from conventions once they happen again, but what else? This won’t be worth doing if we don’t do it a lot. Maybe just do actual GeekNights outside somewhere?

1 Like

Bring it to CTCon and we’ll stream all kinds of shit. I secure permission from panelists to stream as part of the application process these days.

Ok, pay me. A pro videographer is typically going to charge at least $100/hour.

If you’re serious, I’ll push with Amanda and Chappy for this. I’m really trying to push for streaming and get pushback every time I try.

No, not serious. If you’re going to pay, you can hire an actual videographer and not a software engineer with a camera.

Mobile sports commentary crew.

Everything old is new again

Do you mean that the idea of using three exposures of a monochrome camera is old because the idea is from 1905, or that someone doing it else did the same thing with a Gameboy Camera back in 2001? :slight_smile:

http://www.ironicsans.com/2007/09/idea_color_photos_with_the_gam.html

What I find interesting is that it seems that Matt Gray noticed the colours were washed out and used software filters to boost the saturation, while David Friedman worked out the root cause and bought a physical infrared-blocking filter:

“It turns out, the light-sensitive chip inside the Game Boy Camera (it’s called a Mitsubishi M64282FP chip) is sensitive to infrared light, which isn’t visible to the human eye. While I was succesfully filtering out red, green, and blue light, infrared light was still reaching the lens of the camera.”

The film has a very very tiny amount of a chemical in it that the EPA is banning. Fuji could continue selling it here for awhile, but they are instead stopping sales almost immediately to be on the safe side. I guess even though the chemical is only present in small amounts, they can’t, or won’t, produce the film without it. Queue people going to other countries to buy it and sneak it past customs.

Ever since the Fuji 400H got discontinued completely I’ve noticed that film is becoming a little harder to get and a little more expensive overall, regardless of brand or type. Labs are still developing film all over, so it’s not dead yet. I’ve still got some in the fridge. I just wonder if I’m going to start having trouble getting more after I use my supply.

I think it’s likely that within my lifetime analog photography will effectively die. Even if someone buys all the equipment from the film factory to run a boutique business, there are a lot of chemicals to procure. Just one of them becoming difficult to procure could shutter the whole thing.

I want this. If film dies, this will mean I can still use my Canon F-1 basically forever. Would need some custom variations to work with my other cameras, though. Hopefully within my lifetime something like this can be possible with a sensor that’s actually 35mm.

1 Like

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be, presuming a source of decent 35mm sensors.

In 2014 I had already purchased some Canon FD lenses and adapters to use them on my Micro 4/3 camera(s). I figured hey, let’s get an actual Canon FD camera. I picked up a Canon A-1 in great condition off eBay for $78.

The A-1 is terrific, but I eventually got the New F-1 instead. Mostly because I preferred the user interface. But also it has a wider range of accessories.

Anyway, during my current process of getting rid of things I listed the A-1 on eBay. Back to whence it came. The thing is, it’s in worse condition than when it started. At some point I damaged the ISO dial. If you can manage to turn it, it works and the meter changes correctly. The problem is it’s physically damaged and very difficult to turn.

That doesn’t seem to be stopping anybody, and I seem to be on course to profit a tiny amount on an 8 year investment. Or maybe not actually profit if you consider inflation. Who knows?

The new camera you can expect to see at every major sporting event. The really big news here is that it brings back the Canon Eye autofocus. It was always weird to me that the old Canon film SLR had it, people said it worked magically, and then they didn’t put it on basically any other camera until now. I’d love to have it on basically any autofocus camera.

In other news, check out this telescope camera

If I lived anywhere that didn’t have light pollution, I’d probably shell out the pile of cash for this.

1 Like

Took me long enough on their website to figure out what it actually does. Sounds like a pretty nifty trick though. Astrometry.net in your telescope.

I need this for no reasons.

TechRadar: Canon’s bizarre dual-fisheye lens lets you shoot VR video with the Canon EOS R5.

It would be cool though, to be able to make high quality stereoscopic images.

Would be another thing for the looking glass display.

Reminds me of this old thing that was very gimmicky and I think nobody bought it.

Really terrific idea. Why sell a whole instant camera that sucks to carry around? They are somewhat popular, but this really has legs. Just take your existing photos on your smartphone and then “print” them onto an instant photo if you like them. This really opens up a lot of possibilities for using all kinds of apps to edit photos before printing them, allowing creation of instant photos that have never existed before.

I mean, this isn’t really a new thing. Polaroid have been doing portable printers that connect to your phone for a bit now(And seems to have a similar-sized print area, presuming those white borders aren’t just a setting), and there’s a few others around. Can’t say I’ve had much to do with them, but they did already exist.

I guess I just never saw one before. I knew they had instax cameras that are actually digital cameras with printers attached to the back, even though Instax film can also be used in a more analog way, directly exposing it to the photons of the world. The “portable” camera printer I have is an old Canon Selphy, which I think they still make.

Honestly fair, I wouldn’t have seen them before either, if a tech channel I follow on youtube hadn’t reviewed one a few years back(2017, I discovered after I typed that, while looking up the video), and I got curious to see if there were others.

He also reviewed the Polaroid one I mentioned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5t0f1RZYTg

But I can say with confidence I’ve pretty much never seen them in real life, not even in camera stores, or the camera departments of other stores. I’ve seen a couple online ads(I think mostly driven by my searching for others after those reviews), but never known anyone with one. That said, my sister’s birthday IS coming up, and she always loved that whole polaroid/photo sticker thing…

Edit - oop, looking at the first video, he mentions he reviewed an LG one a few years before that Zink one again, and another from 2009, so they’ve been around longer than I ever knew.