BikeNights

Sounds like you just have crappy disk brakes. The main benefits of disk brakes are they they are more powerful than rim brakes. You can have all sorts of crazy tires and wheels, like fatties or carbon wheels, that could not accommodate rim brakes. You can stop better in all weather conditions because you don’t have to deal with wet rims or brake pads. They might be a little different to adjust, but hopefully you won’t have to adjust them nearly as often. Hydraulic ones are even better than mechanical ones, but then of course, they are even harder to mess with.

I know all the benefits. Mine aren’t worth it. Maybe more expensive ones are just better.

I am looking to surprise buy bike for gf, best place to buy a bike needed. Any suggestions?

Surprise buy is bad. You need to get the exact right bike that fits perfectly. Get a gift card to the best and friendliest bike shop in your area.

5 Likes
1 Like

White lines separating bike lanes means cars pass cyclists closer than on roads with no bike lanes.

Side note, tire liners are pretty useful.

How to bail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4XxCmZAfIA

Step 1: open up chat app of choice
Step 2: send a message to Scott that says “let’s bail”
Step 3: spend evening not podcasting
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

3 Likes

Installed fenders on my new bike. My recommendation to anyone else would be to have a professional do it. Eventually I got it done, but it took a very long time and was a huge pain in the ass. It’s not even a matter of experience. There are a lot of unavoidable aggravations involved.

Word on the street is broken leg.

My awesome rear fender took all of five minutes to install. I love that thing, and I wish I could get another one.

Unfortunately, it was a kickstarter, and there’s no actual company making more of them.

Yes, but this is also a front fender and also provides way more protection.

So, maybe I’m a little lost here, but looking at those, I’m not sure how it’s such a pain in the ass. That looks like a cinch to install, tbh.

Then again, wouldn’t be the first time I’ve looked at something and gone “That’ll be easy!” and been extremely wrong, but I really can’t see what the issue is here.

There’s the installation manual.

Step 1 I wanted to get the fender higher up to leave more clearance between it and the tire. I couldn’t because the metal clip at the top of the front fender was blocked by the ring at the bottom of the head tube. This made the rest of the front fender installation more difficult.

Step 6 was a bunch of bullshit because the rubber shim was trash and wouldn’t stay underneath the metal clip. Also, the only way to get the metal clip to grab onto the fender by using pliers on its 4 little claws fucking sucked. It was not elegant at all.

I also have a rear rack on the bike. I had to remove it and re-add it after putting the fender on. The eyelets for the fender and rack are very close together, and it was extremely difficult to get them both screwed in at the same time.

Overall I had to do lots of operations where I had to use two tools at once (ratched and alan key) for nut and bolt in extremely tight spaces since the bike frame was in the way.

And lastly, the metal stays that are used to adjust the fender’s position were interfering with all sorts of other things on the bike. Even when using the large spacers to push them away from the disc brakes, they couldn’t be straight. I had to manually bend them into a shape that worked using my very limited strength.

Ahhh, one of those situations, now I understand - SHOULD be simple but isn’t because real life is rarely as simple as the manual suggests.

Wow, check out the new Trek Domane. Holy shit.

If I didn’t have a road bike already and was going to buy one today, this would easily be my pick.

Great carbon frame that supports tires up to size 38! Nice disc brakes. Crazy amount of comfort and performance adjustments you can make with the new seatpost and updated isospeed system. A new gender neutral sizing system. No more men’s/women’s frames.

But most of all, that storage system! No more needing to have a bag under your saddle for tools and stuff. Just stick everything in the downtube! A bike with a trunk, holy shit. Touring bikes don’t have that. This is like a mid-range sports car having more storage space than an SUV.

Not changing road bikes anytime soon, but it’s great to know I’ll be able to get something way better than this many many years from now if I eventually do.

1 Like

Oh snap that’s a nice bike.

I do need a road bike at some point…

The bike has one problem. It is expensive as fuck. Best bet is to wait many months until a shop has one in stock that doesn’t sell and gets put on sale.

Crazy stage made even crazier by crazy weather!