BikeNights

“Bicycle face”

So… smiling?

Yeah basically:

Here’s the appropriate Build For Tomorrow episode on that subject.

I learned about this from the book (and movie) The Road to Wellville !!

We already knew that a person riding a bicycle is the most energy efficient form of transportation. That makes the conclusion of this research kind of obvious in retrospect, but it’s a confirmation. The only thing more efficient than bike riding is more bike riding.

1 Like

Imagine electric-powered enclosed trikes that self-organize into wind-efficient packs on highways that have banned traditional cars.

1 Like

I kind of like this design, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to ruin the tires.

The better conversions are the front wheel replacements.

Requires more time and tools to install, but way more robust. The power is scalable depending on budget; with motor size and battery capacity.

These conversions are better suited for mountain bikes, which will usually have at least a front suspension and possibly disc brakes needed for the extra speeds.

IMO, if you’re wanting an e-bike of any kind, get one powerful enough to not even require pedalling.

Where pedalling is what you do if you run out of charge.

Otherwise, just get a bike with better gearing and forget the motor completely. ie. K.I.S.S.

Unless circumstances drastically change, I only see myself getting an e-bike when I’m older and too weak to regular bike as far. Looking at the ages of people in the bike clubs, I think it’s going to be awhile.

I can’t get really mad at people biking.

BUT

I am not of fan of this. I see non-pedalers whizzing along at 20 mph on these heavy beasts, clueless. Stay away from me, please.

I don’t put the blame on them. I put the blame on cars. The e-bikes that go 20+ without pedaling are currently mixed in with regular bicycles because cars are taking up a disproportionate amount of space.

I finally uploaded photos of the 481 mile cycling tour Emily and I did across most of New York State!

5 Likes

Since I learned about it last year here, I wanted to do a century this year. Today I finally did it, just before the year ends :grin:

1 Like

Yoo, friend me. I am going to start riding again on Monday.

1 Like

just send a request :grin:

More Tom downhilling

I did my first long ride this year, and also crossed a border :grin:

Next up is a 215km ride along the same river, only in the other direction (and also my first ride with an overnight stay :smile:)

1 Like

and my longest ride yet, more than an imperial century, and crossed another border on a bike :grin:

went way better than I thought :smile:

1 Like

For a ride like this are you just slurping down energy gels or calorie dense bars in terms of maintaining blood sugar levels?

1 Like

I had an extra portion of pasta in the morning, very sugary powder in my water (Isostar, which most supermarkets here just have in stock), a bag of nuts and several musli bars.
Also helps to eat extra carbs the day before.

Gels seem too expensive and being vegan, I usually don’t count on restaurants on the way :sweat_smile: