Anime Watchlist

I’m liking this season way more than I expected. Grand Blue is a solid adaptation of the manga, although I’d probably advise just reading it instead. Cells at Work is better than it has any right to be. Episode 2 of Chio-chan surprised me with some really great dialogue in the second half; I’m hoping to get more parts like that in the rest of the show. When the anime ends I’ll probably pick up the manga from there.

I was pretty disappointed with Grand Blue. First episode was just about dude bros getting super drunk and naked.

We were right! Judge power.

I’m pretty sure I warned y’all about that. If you’re expecting some deep, detailed exploration of diving, you’re in the wrong place. The diving scenes are beautiful, the few of them there are, but the show is a comedy about a bunch of college-age adults getting together, having fun, and drinking heroic amounts of alcohol.

Only if you said it was great.

1 Like

As will the rest of the episodes, ideally.

I haven’t watched this yet but I just listened to a podcast doing their first impression on Revue Starlight. One of their takes on the show is it’s very much in the spirit of Utena in the dueling action part. I figure the two biggest nerds I know who love their Utena might want to at least check out the first episode. @SkeleRym and @Apreche

All I’ve heard from it are that it’s super Utena like and that the studio is on a constant state of panic because the show is too ambitious for their size, so I’m waiting until after its run to watch it.

Checked out Flavors of Youth as it was on Netflix. It’s an anthology series and deserves to be rated as such:

• Part 1 - “Rice Noodles” is the most boring, tedious food anime story I think I’ve ever watched. A guy ate a noodle dish and that’s his life.

• Part 2 - “Fashion Show” is decent. Really barebones in terms of character, but has enough visual message and sisterly bond to work.

• Part 3 - “Shanghai Love” is very Makoto Shinkai teenage melodrama love story, but it’s BY FAR the best one. Most amount of characters, depth, a neat hook with time/technology, great backgrounds. If you can only watch this, I would say do so.

Finished up watching Granblue Fantasy the anime last night. It did that thing were the rest of rpg crew that hadn’t been introduced yet all get shotgunned in the last episode. Each getting just enough screen time to show off their powers and fighting styles. Lightning fist dude and duel wielding flame sword girl were the most interesting.

There was also bonus beach episode. And since Granblue Fantasy is game that let’s the player be a boy or girl. The beach episode switched the male protag for the female one. Probably because the male protag wouldn’t look as good in a bikini.

Cowards

/15 characters of cowardice

2 Likes

After moving I finally finished my rewatch of “Beck / Mongolian Chop Squad”, which I started months ago when I picked up drumming again. I watched the series before several years before, and it surprised me just how much I had forgotten of various subplots and even entire characters. The series definitely has some high points with good music and capturing young love, gaining interest in music and coming of age well. However, overall the series is kind of mediocre with a ton of lingering, time-wasting shots to fill episodes, some plot points that don’t exactly make sense, and sometimes the animation goes really off model on scenes where it is obvious that this due to budget or time constraints.

Still I think it is worth seeing. I literally experienced goosebumps during the bands performance at the festival at the end of the series. It is kind of odd.

1 Like

I am a bit envious of you, since I love the manga version so much that the anime wasn’t as satisfying. It’s by far my favorite manga series, although definitely was a right place right time sort of deal.

Finished up Diamond is Unbreakable and now we’re eagerly waiting for more JoJo.

To fill the gap, we tried rewatching an old classic that came up because the music came up: Noir.

I remember that show being pretty cool and interesting, but I gotta say that on rewatching it’s actually boring as fuck. It has now joined .hack//SIGN in the hallowed halls of “shows that have great music and nothing else.”

Seriously. Boring as fuck.

Why can’t there be more Shokugeki like right now?

1 Like

You and me, I mad rose tint glassed that show and immediately regretted it when I watched it again.

The Read or Die OVA still holds up though.

2 Likes

Hint: The music in both is done by Yuki Kajiura who also did the music for Madoka.

It cannot come soon enough.

Do you know what is always awesome?
Mobile Fighter G Gundam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlhtVgB7QuY

5 Likes

Apparently Planet With is the show to watch this season, anyone here watch it?

Some episodes, start was wonky, just interesting enough and enough cliffhangers to get me going, but it fell off, but by now I’ve heard people talk about it so much that I definitely pick it back up.

But best I can say right now is, early on it was fine, people say it’s really good, but I don’t think I have gotten far enough.

Hero Academia movie was fine but not amazing. If I were still using MAL I’d give it an 8/10.

Spoiler

Not enough best girl though

1 Like