Android: Netrunner (not even Scott cares)

As someone who has multiple core sets of the old FFG Star Wars LCG and Game of Thrones LCG, I understand that pain all too well.

Pretty much why I never got into it - missed getting on at the start, and by the time friends raving about it had convinced me to buy in, it was WAY too late.

2 Likes

NISEI, the fan-run group that is now developing the game, is actually releasing a new “core” experience at the end of this month. Currently previews are going on. I had actually planned to make a post later when more cards are known, since we are already here…

Actually they are releasing two products:

1. System Gateway - A 75 card set of all new cards (except for Hedge Fund and Sure Gamble) which is meant as a somewhat simpler, introductory set for new players. It comes in two parts: One is two pre-constructed decks to teach the game, and the other is an expansion which gives you the rest of the cards from the set. You can also get it all at once.
  2. System Update 21 - an 82 card set that is entirely reprints of existing cards, meant to expand on System Gateway and familiarize players with a bit more advanced concepts (e.g. the trace mechanic is not present in SG but is in SU21).

Together these two sets form the “core” of the tournament scene. The “Standard” format is also removing a number of old sets, thus the backlog gets reduced. NISEI is also formalizing a fan-created format called “Startup” (previously known as “Modded”) which uses only this new core and the last expansion cycle, in this case the Ashes cycle that NISEI themselves released in 2019. That consisted of the sets Downfall and Uprising. All of their sets can be bought from print on-demand services or you can download PDFs of them from their website free of charge and print it at home.

All existing cards, including NISEI Ashes cycle, and the new ones from the two sets I named above are also available (or will be when they come out) on Jinteki.net, a browser based implementation of the entire game.

If you want to try the game, when these new sets come out it is basically one of the best times to do so.

P.S.: I started playing the game during Kitara, the last cycle that was released by FFG…

2 Likes

yeah would definitely love to play it on jinteki so maybe we should try to get some games on going on the forum discord.

Hit me up any time to schedule a game if you like. Would be very willing to teach anybody who is interested as well. There are also active fan communities on Reddit, the GreenLevelClearance Discord server and Stimhack Slack. The community is in general incredibly nice and welcoming.

1 Like

Well everybody, as said, System Gateway and System Update 21 are now released and the community is bumping. Yesterday there were like three or four Netrunner streams going at the same time (one of them went more than 8 hours), and GreenLevelClearane is seeing new members join every day. Everyone is super hype and the cards they made quite honestly deserve it.

NISEI also put a lot of effort in the on-boarding process, including new material in the set that explain rules, but also writing complete learn to play guides for both sides.

If you ever were interested in Netrunner, now is the single best time to join in since probably the launch of the game.

3 Likes

will +1 the awesome community for netrunner: easily the best card game community I’ve ever seen, and jinteki is pretty solid

1 Like

System… rebooting?

"The initially linked filing claims it is “intended to cover the categories of downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices,” while the others detail its use for “online computer games and interactive multiplayer online computer games” and “role playing games, board games, trading card games and collectible toy figures”.

1 Like

This came out around a week ago. I’m guessing it’s just standard trademark renewal.

That’s most likely true, but it’s crazy that they haven’t done anything with the Netrunner IP since FFG shuttered the LCG.

How so? Netrunner is such small potatoes compared to anything Hasbro does.

Yes, but it’s a very well known and beloved IP. Hasbro/Wizards is just sitting on money by not doing anything with it. If nothing else, they should license the IP to someone else just like they did with FFG.

Make it into a video game.
Make it into an RPG.
Make it into some type of board game.

Just do something with it.

It’s certainly beloved by most of those who know it. As for very well known, only by certain measures of well known. Whether it’s well known enough for a big old Hasbro to bother with it remains to be seen. But companies basically always automatically renew trademarks, even if they have no plans to use them. So all this news indicates is that Hasbro’s IP division has their shit together.

Isn’t the Netrunner IP under Cyberpunk 20xx anyways? I thought that had to do with it being shuttered.

Ok, so I just looked at the copyright fine print on the Android: Netrunner playmat that is on my desk. It says this:

Netrunner is a TM of R. Talsorian Games.
Android is TM & :copyright: 2014 Fantasy FLight Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Netrunner is licensed by Wizards of the Coast LLC. :copyright: 2014 Wizards.
… text about the WoTC, LCG, and FFG logos since they are printed on the playmat…
All rights reserved to their respective owners.

Yes, this is quite interesting. I was under the impression that R. Talsorian owned the Cyberpunk universe from the original card game, but that WotC owned Netrunner, the trademark. Since that original card game was a deckmaster game after all, just like M:tG.

If Netrunner was a TM of R. Talsorian, the Cyberpunk RPG company, I guess WotC bought it from them somehow instead of just licensing it? If that’s the case, that does make it very likely they are going to use it for something. You don’t go acquiring a trademark fully for no reason.

But yeah, this is one of those situations where different pieces of the puzzle all belong to different companies and there were/are all kinds of licensing deals and such. And since it’s just small potatoes, they’re not going out and informing the whole world of what the deal is if they don’t have to.

1 Like

Netrunner is a proper-noun within the Cyberpunk RPG setting so its probably something along the lines of WOTC has the rights to use Netrunner and some handful of terms from R Talsorian’s Cyberpunk within the purview of cardgames but those trademarks on the terms are themselves still held within R. Talsorian.

Shut Up & Sit Down: Why You Should Get into Netrunner in 2022

2 Likes

NISEI is going to release a new cycle of cards soon, and Previews start tomorrow. Some cards have already been spoiled through the “booster pack” (a card for each faction from the new set to tie people over until the full set releases) and an article today in which they explain that they are removing the term “brain damage” in favor of “core damage”, featuring a quasi-reprint of an existing card with the new terminology.

1 Like

The first part of the new Borealis cycle, entitled Midnight Sun, is live. You can view the full set on NetrunnerDB, you can download the cards for print and play from NISEI or you can order them from MakePlayingCards or DriveThruCards. The set will also be out in full on the browser based implementation of the game, Jinteki.net, soon.

With this release, the Mumbad Cycle and the Order & Chaos big box expansion leave the Standard format. The Startup format will add this set. When the second part of the Borealis cycle is released, it will be added to Standard without removing anything else, but in Startup it will also rotate out the Ashes cycle (NISEI’s first cycle) as startup is always System Gateway, the current System Update expansion and the last full cycle plus any unfinished cycles.

1 Like

Polygon has written about NISEI and the new set.

1 Like