American Democracy

• Former President Donald Trump commented on the results via his Truth Social platform, calling the elections both “somewhat disappointing” and also “a very big victory”

Sounds like he’s saying “The results are somewhat disappointing but for me that’s still a very big victory.”

If anyone is interested in getting out the vote for the Senate runoff in GA, send some postcards.

https://mailchi.mp/tonythedemocrat/warnock-runoff

3 Likes

Also send money to Fair Fight Georgia which I did, which is a great get out the vote organization.

2 Likes

Recurring donations are more helpful than even large one-time donations. It helps them plan long-term more effectively.

I’ve been giving $100/month since January of 2021. Fair Fight is one of the most important activist organizations in American politics right now.

4 Likes

Happy early Thanksgiving.

4 Likes

As a Georgian, I’m genuinely curious (concerned and on high alert?) about which way the libertarian voters (if they take part) will vote. At first blush, you’d think mainly Walker given that he’s pro-gun. But he’s also pro-choice, anti-cop, and LGBT. Concerning as to how the siphon there will work, for sure.

I know left-libertarians that previously voted that way who say that they voted Warnock this election already, so maybe the ones more likely to vote that way have already voted for him? Idk. It’s definitely concerning, but at this point not entirely surprising, to me how close it was.

In my personal experience every Libertarian I ever had the displeasure of knowing would go GOP regardless of those factors. Even the ones who say they are “left-leaning.”

5 Likes

I’ve met all of these types about 3/4 vote GOP when the Libertarian isn’t there 1/4 Dem.

4 Likes

Oh sure, I mean it’s probably an exercise in futility at the of the day. My gut absolutely says the vast majority of libertarians at large either won’t vote or will vote for walker if they do, unfortunately.

When I say “left-libertarian” these two people specifically haven’t voted libertarian in years and have only voted democrat since about 2008-12-ish. I imagine the type of person drawn to libertarian ideology in the first place has a contrarian streak about identifying publicly as one of the major parties or the other, despite what they do when they’re at the box.

Mosley won the seat with 1,799 votes to Gagne's 1,798. Before the recount, Gagne led Mosley by 23 votes.
5 Likes

Nancy Pelosi has stepped down.

1 Like

She was one of the best we ever had. The Democrats in the House have been united in lock step to resisting the fascists under her.

But frankly her life is at risk thanks to the Republicans and it’s probably time to bring someone new into the leadership.

2 Likes

Honestly, yeah. I can’t say I always agree with her stances, but anyone who thinks she was incompetent or bad at her job as speaker simply has no idea what they’re talking about.

Edit - A good example, an anecdote about her style in whipping votes from an older VOX article about Paul Ryan and the myth of his effectiveness:

The example that always comes to mind to me is one that Tom Perriello, a Democrat who served one term in the House from a very red district in Virginia from 2009 to 2011 (and is now running for governor) told Ezra Klein back in December 2010. Perriello was weighing whether to vote for the DREAM Act, which would legalize the status of undocumented immigrants who arrived as children. “There was the whole question of whether the Senate would support it,” he told Klein. “And I didn’t want to do this if it was just going to die in the Senate.”

Then the lobbying started. “I got a call from [Education Secretary] Arne Duncan, and he began telling me about the individual anecdotes of guys that he worked with in Chicago who needed this legislation,” Perriello recalled. “There were strong Latino organizing networks that began moving, and someone I went to second grade with called and was like, ‘Tom, you might not vote for the DREAM Act? I know we haven’t talked in 32 years, but…’ A few of my friends from college started to call. Several people contacted colleagues I’d had in past jobs, so now they’re writing me. ‘Dude, I haven’t been following this, but I’ve heard from six people today that I have to call you about the DREAM Act. …’”

This is how Pelosi whipped votes. She got the administration involved, she got outside groups involved, she got random figures from Congress members’ pasts involved. She was really, really good at it. And it all happened quietly, without anyone watching or applauding.

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Don’t you call it a 2 seat majority when it’s 51:49?

A 50:50 split is not a majority.

1 Like

German nazis plotted to overthrow the government and a massive anti-terror action is ongoing today.

This isn’t really materially different from what the Republican Party tried to do on January 6th.

2 Likes

The final hearing of the Jan 6th committee investigating the Republican coup attempt is live:

They will vote on criminal referrals at the end.