Airline and airplane safety

Read more of his articles if you liked that. The El Faro piece is gripping. And the Mecca stampede article gives me Maithanet’s Holy War vibes.

Here’s the new best feature about this entire saga. It’s from last week, but very much worth the long read:

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1209481108481552385

Somehow I missed a Langewiesche article. He wrote about the 737 max:

1 Like

I still think we should nationalize Boeing over this tragedy.

You made me start googling for precedence of eminent domaining a corporation. Corporations exist at the pleasure of the state, so if the federal government won’t, maybe Washington can!

Not only is there precedent, it’s a professional sports franchise! City of Oakland v. Oakland Raiders. Of course, Al Davis. California supreme court even ruled that it was ok. US appeals court overturned their ruling on interstate commerce grounds, boo.

Scott, there’s hope for the Mets!

If Boeing is so critical to US military that it needs to exist and refuses to comply with terms mandated in a bailout to prevent the US govt from having to bailout a core critical defense industry partner than yes it should be nationalized. The efficiency savings of free market go right out the window when they spend all their profits on super risky stock buybacks with no rainy day fund and expect uncle sam to foot the bill.

1 Like

Of course that won’t happen, with all the itchy backs at that level.

Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.
Nationalize Boeing.

3 Likes

PIA is Pakistan International Air. 100 on board, crashed into a neighborhood.

At least 3 survivors already confirmed, so not 100+% fatality rate.

Been reading a few things on that accident, I still don’t know what to make of it. Some people really want it to be mostly pilot error it seems or at least systematic pilot training (as always); but there’s more to it than that for sure. The gear not extending is major, the fact that the pilots were way off altitude and seemed to be content either means they were intentionally not following ATC or they were getting bad readings somehow, and then the engines scraping the runway during the failed landing attempt is certainly the thing that is going to give you a bad day if you don’t put the bird down.

To indulge in armchair piloting it, if the pilot realized his engines touched ground he should certainly have committed to putting it down. It’s a bad day but likely a survivable landing. Maybe some fire but people will mostly get out. But chances are there was no indication that anything had happened and that they simply aborted landing. He figured things were good to try and get the gear back down in the air, until he was trying to climb out and realized it was not good. At that point there’s differing opinion on how to respond and its unfair to armchair that decision unless you’re an experienced pilot of that type and training and have access to the information that the pilot did, so best left to experts.

It reminds me of the B17 Nine o Nine crash last Sept in a way. Thankfully for the B-17 it at least made it to the airport property before it collided with ground structures. But it too had engine failures during climbout, never made altitude, and had to either somehow return to the airport or ditch and, well people can argue the decisions made forever with no satisfaction. The information available to the pilot was lost with the pilot.

More of this, please.

2 Likes

Sounds like they have a pretty realistic outlook on how the future will likely affect them, expecting a gradual increase in travelers with backlogged demand once travel is considered more safe. And they have been dealing with passengers who refuse to wear facemasks and D.C. rioters very appropriately. All in all, still a too large late-stage capitalism company, but of the available airline choices one that I still prefer over all the rest.

https://twitter.com/michaelagiulia/status/1363241125495136267?s=21

1 Like