5 eyes, 9 eyes & 14 eyes explained

Here is a quick breakdown of countries in each of the Eyes alliance that are an enemy of the internet:

• 5 Eyes : United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand
  • 9 Eyes: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Norway
  • 14 Eyes: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden

The Birth of Other Global Surveillance Alliances

The 5, 9, and 14 eyes work in coalition to intercept and closely analyze both offline and online activities of the masses.

These intelligence agencies don’t just operate in their own designated jurisdictions, but also in other countries where they don’t have legal rights.

If for say NSA wants to track down someone in Canada, they can just ask CSEC to handle the operation for them.

The primary goal of these organizations is to fend off any threats to national security.

Source: 5 EYES, 9 EYES, & 14 EYES EXPLAINED

Sounds like conspiracy nut nonsense.

Yeah there’s insufficient sources in that article to take it seriously.

EDIT My dad, who wrote about NatSec for a few years professionally, says 5 EYES is true but has never heard of 9 or 14.

He’s right about 5 Eyes, which has been around since about the 1950s, cold war shit. 14 Eyes is newer(well, in the public eye, since it’s existence was confirmed in the Snowden leaks), and comes after his time writing about NatSec, it refers to an intelligence collaboration called SIGINT Seniors Europe, which is a very different thing to 5 Eyes, mostly it’s 5 Eyes plus the other nations that are considered second and third party participants.

Basically, it breaks down to three levels - You’ve got 5 Eyes, which is the participants of the UKUSA Agreement, who have extensive sharing of Sigint and technology, and some financial compensation going both ways. 9 Eyes are later participants, who give Sigint to the NSA and UKUSA agreement signatories, but don’t get any in return, however, they do get some technology and financial support. 14, same deal, but with less technology being shared. It’s basically just people tacking an ever-increasing amount of eyes on to the term every time they discover new sigint sharing/collaborations between nations.

If the rest of what Ben is saying is true, don’t know, haven’t looked and don’t know off the top of my head. But the existence of the (Variable) eyes groups is real.

1 Like

Haha no… this is truth. Read up at mashable. People aren’t aware of it.

You can find such articles at mashable and theguardians as well. 9 and 14 eyes are relatively new. Read the snowden’s revelations.

Thanks for explaining the details here @Churba Yes these variable eyes group is a real thing. All these things were revealed in snowden’s talk. People aren’t much aware of it though. They only know about 5 eyes because it comes from 1950s-60s.

The alliance is much stronger now and have more countries in it.

Read this http://cphpost.dk/news/international/denmark-is-one-of-the-nsas-9-eyes.html

Hey man, I don’t mean to be harsh on you or owt since pretty much every forum software works slightly differently, but when doing replies to separate people like that, you can quote it all in one post and it will still send out the reply notification intelligently. Plus, you can edit the post after to add stuff, so it saves you making two replies if you think of something you want to add.

Hey yes sorry I was using phone so couldn’t do that… I am really sorry if it annoyed you.

Nah, not really annoying me at all, just letting you know in case you didn’t know. It is a little more annoying to do it on your phone, no stress dude.

1 Like