What book are you reading now/have finished?

This reminds me of the Dune series by Frank Herbert. Dune itself is a great read. As it continues, more people jump off, and the powers get ever more expanded. I personally think it’s worth reading up to book four, but only start in with book five if you’re really, really, really into it.

That said, I’ve revisited quite a few old books recently, and very few hold up to my more modern sensibilities. And by modern I mean I don’t mean the date it was written, but that also combined with the age of the author when they wrote it. A Vernor Vinge novel from 1999 feels way more dated than a Alastair Reynolds novel from 1999, mainly because Vinge is Boomer and Reynolds is Gen X.

Maybe modern Luke would jump off the Dune series after the first book.

You mean them proving that Jesus was literally real and proof of such didn’t cause the whole world to immediately become raptured in the book afterwards?

Shit I kept going after Memnoch. Though I’d actually forgotten I’d skipped a few and it made no difference. Like I discovered the body thief existed years after I was super into the books and it didn’t really have a noticeable effect on the story other than being slightly confused at the start of Memnoch.

I went ahead and looked it up. I highlighted the ones I haven’t read:

Oh yeah, that too. I genuinely forgot about it, after a while, they all just blur together.

It really doesn’t. I will say that in their favor, they do stand alone well enough, because any mention of something comes with a quick(or not so quick) catch-up of what happened.

I do remember at the beginning of Memnoch, Lestat is catching you up on the events of the last book, there’s a new character you’ve never heard of and he apparently has the body of a villain from a previous book? Of course it’s fine because we never see that guy again in any of the books I read so… meh.

I might have posted about the Robert Christgau anthology “Is It Still Good To Ya?” before but each essay is loaded with a lot of big ideas that do tie together within it, but the next one frequently is a different take and it’s best read in small chunks. Constantly impressed by his culture criticism without getting detached and “objective,” a silly word in any social science but an outright absurd one discussing anything as personal as popular culture. There’s a lot of it and very little will resonate with any one person, but Christgau finds something in all of it to latch onto and make compelling. Do I want to go to Lollapalooza? No, I wouldn’t have wanted to go to it in '95 when he’s writing from either, but it’s great to hear someone who shares my values in culture so much find stuff I can find exciting in something I never have given much thought to anyway.

I’ve finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It’s a wild ride from start to end. A story of the Hubris of Man. And maybe it’s Salvation.

3 Likes

Yup! One of my favorite novels of the last few years. The follow up, Children of Ruin, is great fun too, and really creepy.

2 Likes

Oh! Adrian Tchaikovsky used to promote his books in the game shop I used to go to. I never realised he’d sold so many!

I finished reading “The Deficit Myth: Modern Monetary Theory and the Birth of the People’s Economy” a bit ago. I wrote some screed on reddit that was pretty upvoted about it, kind of made me consider recording some book reviews or something on youtube.

The book was written in a way that it’s easy to understand, though it talks down to the reader in some sense. There’s some lines in the book that are supposed to be personal anecdotes, but they come across as made up bullshit. The most repeated one is that this guy who is at the foundation of MMT would “pay” his children in his business cards for the chores they would do. Maybe it happened, maybe it didn’t, but it sounds so fake and I feel it detracts from the point it’s trying to make. There was another personal anecdote from the author herself about her kid, and I forget the specifics, but she made it sound like a four year old is arriving at her adult professional career economists conclusions just naturally on their own.

Earlier in this thread when I mentioned this was my next book I was wondering if the book would land. It kinda did not, but it did accomplish some things. For one, I feel like I understand what people are talking about when they mention MMT now. I can participate relatively accurately in a conversation about it. I can explain it in a relatively simple capacity. But if this book was supposed to convince me that MMT is the “correct” theory, it failed.

I’m not saying we can’t attempt a lot of the things this book layed out as options. Deficit spending, jobs programs, reframing how we view or talk about the national debt, etc. I could see all of that being practical and possibly how we dig ourselves out of our current several simultaneous cataclysms. It’s one of those things where all of those sound at least worthy enough to take into consideration as possibilities. But in spite of all of that, the author seems to take a leap of faith into the one-true-way of MMT that I would not. In one of the last chapters, she even has a line specifically calling out that it’s not just faith in MMT, but she really doesn’t ground that statement with a complete argument.

What I mostly took from the whole thing is that MMT is a bit of a framing device. Having also read several other books recently with great historical insights into other ways economists have attempted to frame the world and the economy, this seems like yet another perfectly valid way to potentially consider things. Whether it’s Marx, Keynes, Milton Friedman, precious metal standards, mercantilism, etc. they all purport to describe the economy and the proof of their efficacy is in the accuracy of the results they end up producing. It’s a way of framing the conversation and the moving parts in such a way that is friendly to essentially “printing money” at some level that doesn’t devolve into currency debasement or massive inflation.

But wait, in intro macro economics we specifically learned that printing money is inflation! And yeah… kind of. We also learned that fractional reserve banking creates money. Or maybe someone grew up to think that we should all move to an actual limited resource like crypto-currencies or back to gold. Or all money is just a reflection of labor. All of these conceptions make some sense as a way to think about this stuff, and framing it any of these particular ways gives us different sort of predictions. And as I said above, we measure the accuracy of these from the accuracy of the predictions we would make with them.

In some sense a lot of what this book is arguing for already happens: massive federal deficits which result in not so much real inflation at the moment. When does the house of cards come tumbling down? I have no idea. Could be tomorrow. Could be that it never happens. And would it be preferable that we spend these dollars on infrastructure, medical care for all, renewable energy, etc. instead of buying stocks, corporate bonds, equities, etc. to prop up the stock market, the largest corporations, and banks? Quite possibly. I’m at least open to the idea of trying it. But also, similar to the notion that the powers that be are already doing some of these things, there’s no guarantee that anything we were to implement would be free of corruption and misuse of the various forms we already know.

Maybe I feel this way about it because I read a lot of philosophy books and what I come back with from those is similar. Here is a novel way to think about the world or ethics or nature, how interesting what conclusions we could draw from this! I had one guy go on a tirade that I didn’t understand anything in the book, which lead me to finding the MMT subreddit, which seems a little bit too “true believer”-ie to me. You can encounter the same thing with some marxists or whatever else where they have been converted by the gospel of some conception and all others are flawed. I’m not so totally converted by peoples gnosis. Because I’m used to there being multiple complex potentially conflicting ideologies, I, personally didn’t stumble into some “epiphany” of the “magic” of MMT.

I did find some chunks of the book factually interesting. We all kinda know that government debt is treasuries and bonds and a few other things, or that we pay money into social security with the anticipation in theory that we would get something back out of it in retirement, but this book provided some higher level detail than I had encountered. I appreciated those parts quite a bit. It’s baby talk, but her analogy to treasuries as yellow dollars and regular dollars as green dollars brought something pretty complicated down to a super simple level that made some of the other extensions easier to understand. And similarly bringing up a section on Greenspan, SSI, and how the government funds it was really good at simplifying it down to a couple basic heuristics. It got me interested enough to go pull up the spreadsheet of how social security treasuries are divided up at the moment and had me think about a couple other ways to rephrase that topic to argue different angles. I kinda doubt her story that every senator she had a meeting with said “yes” to wiping out the debt and “no” to wiping out all the US treasuries… but maybe I give senators too much credit.

1 Like

Burned through Battle Ground by Jim Butcher over the afternoon on Sunday. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I’ve been a fan of the Dresden files for a long time, and books tend to stick in my mind pretty well.

It was a wild ride first page to last, pretty much constant motion that shows how much this book and the one that came out earlier this year were written as a single book and split only because the publisher would have needed to outsource the printing of the book otherwise.

I’ve been putting down a book a day for a couple of weeks while I look for work. I was going to post about them all but decided against it for y’all’s sake lol.

However, read This is How You Lose the Time War pls, it’s my new favorite romance novel.

Just finished reading The Outside by Ada Hoffmann. AI gods and eldritch horrors! The tone reminds me of Ninefox Gambit, I think Luke would like it.

I finished Children of Ruin last week. It’s weird but the story ends on such an optimistic note, and honestly both books are so full of optimism that we can rise above ourselves, I actually teared up I was so moved.

We’re going on an adventure!

2 Likes

The last half of Death’s End is like 15 deus ex machinas in a row.

By that point in the books, humanity is dealing with god-tier civilizations, so… sure. It felt like the book was ending for about 300 pages.

1 Like

Re-read Ancillary/Imperial Radch series while in hospital purgatory (with covid we were locked in the entire time till discharge for my son’s birth). I definitely enjoyed some of the foreshadowing/careful laying of plot pieces ahead of time with my foreknowledge this time through and together the story really feels like 1 mega novel than 3 separate novels in the singular character focus and the timeframes involved (each novel immediately follows the first with little time gap).

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Radch-Boxed-Trilogy-Ancillary/dp/0316513318

2 Likes

That’s a good way of summarizing the last half of that book.

I liked the ending fairly well, even though it certainly was extremely protracted. Then again, I consumed it via audiobook so (a few odd artifacts of that process aside) it definitely made the ending go by in a way that I don’t know it would have had were I physically reading and turning the pages.

Over the past couple of months I’ve been reading The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue back to back, the first two novels of Charles Stross’s The Laundry Files series. I say months here because I took lengthy breaks while reading them, being occupied with other interests. That is not a slight against the books, who are really good as you would expect from a series that was as a whole legitimately nominated for a Hugo Award and some of the shorter writings in it won. It’s just my personal reading habits and interests.

Considering the acclaim and subject matter, I feel kind of like I’ve been living under a rock for not having found out about the series earlier. They actually only popped onto my radar because the author was a guest on a podcast I listen to a while back, and a short description of the universe made me want to check it out. Churba apparently mentioned the series a while back, but until I searched for the name of the series I didn’t even realize he had.

The Laundry Files is an amalgam of spy-thriller, eldritch horror and work comedy. The hero is “Bob Howard”, a cover name that only is evocative in how nondescript it is, thus fulfilling an intention that the name “James Bond” failed despite having the same goal. The character has more in common with Arthur Dent than Ian Fleming’s creation, and thank goodness for that. He is a computer programmer turned field agent for a british government agency that has no official name and is simply referred to as “The Laundry” because it is their job to clean up, which in this case means keeping the public from finding out that the world is part of a multi-dimensional reality with all sorts of Lovecraftian beasts on the other side of a thin membrane that can be pierced by applied mathematics, with not a few careless script-kiddie or math student having their soul devoured by said horrors from beyond.

It is mostly told from Bob’s first person perspective as he has to both engage with the mentioned dangers but also a lethargic bureaucratic culture where political infighting and jockeying for positions and promotions often causes neglect and jeopardy of others, which isn’t great when training exercises can go pear-shaped and result in an unlucky participant becoming host to a minor demon. Thankfully the series isn’t trying to say that the private sector would be better at this (quite the opposite actually) but rather that it would be nice if people could put aside their personal ambitions and that a “thank you” and some extra resources would be nice for the people who actually keep society running.

I really enjoy the series and the juxtaposition of mundane work troubles with extraordinary dangers from beyond. Of course I am a prime target as a computer nerd, with the series littered with reference to geek culture, though unfortunately sometimes they can drift into a bit too overt stuff. The series borrows liberally from Lovecraft, which is quite deliberate, but also can be a bit cliched at this point. Then again, these novels came out in 2004 and 2006 respectively, so maybe that’s just the intervening time playing a trick on me.

My favorite part of the series has been the short story The Concrete Jungle which is included in the paperback volume of The Atrocity Archive that I bought, which I think could be a good entry point for the not-yet convinced. I think it has the best mixture of the aspects of the series of what I read so far, is short, and doesn’t require any real preexisting knowledge about the series itself.

I gave up on reading Samuel R. Delany’s Dhalgren and am working on Swati Teerdhala’s The Tiger at Midnight. I think Dhalgren was the wrong book to read with 2020 brain and I’ve decided to move past it for now. The Tiger at Midnight is quite good so far. I think it may be the first fantasy novel I’ve read based on Hindu mythology, at least primarily.