War on Cars

1 Like

My run today was surreal. The air smells like trees and flowers. There is no haze. The sky is freakishly clear.

1 Like

Just got back from a brief ride around Queens and Brooklyn. Honestly smells a lot like my mask.

I take the mask off unless I’m biking near people. There is a lot of empty road to bike on.

Cars crash into buildings far too frequently in North America. Rarely happens in the Netherlands, though. Video explains why.

https://youtu.be/Ra_0DgnJ1uQ

1 Like

I haven’t watched the video yet, but is the answer “old people mistake the gas for the brake and yet somehow still have their driver’s licenses?”

Because the last time I was mad about this exact topic, the stats basically said the far majority of vehicle-building collisions are old people stomping on the gas instead of the brake. The second most common cause was malicious intent (i.e., ramming the building on purpose).

Now to take a big sip of coffee and watch the video.

Nope. It, in fact, specifically calls you out for being wrong.

My pre-watch guess is probably the overall design of roads/parking lots there basically prevents cars from parking or maneuvering such that they are facing directly into a building, and so there would almost never be situations where someone can ram directly into a building without steering wildly off course into it or by mistakenly just hitting the gas.

Only time I saw a car ram a building was when I was living in Providence for my first year of school, and at the apartment complex I was in, there was a T intersection along the main road and one day while walking along, this Jeep blew through the intersection and straight into the management office for the apartment complex, and got lodged into the wall and on its side.

Yeap. The moral is of course partly “make cars go slower outside of freeways.” :wink:

Since it’s hard to make New York change everything else quickly, I’d be good with a solution where we strictly and universally enforced the 20/25MPH speed limits within the city. Automated tickets for violations. No exceptions.

If private vehicles are allowed within the five boroughs, they should be relegated to a crawl except on grade-separated freeways.

The whole industry is on the verge of collapse. It actually has been for some time. Uber killed rental cars for anything but long trips in effect. It similarly put a bullet in on-demand app cars like Zipcar.

There will be a huge glut of cheap used cars in the market now. That’ll drive the dealerships down pretty hard, especially the used dealerships, and have a significant depressing effect on new car sales.

What about child seats?
Yes in some jurisdictions taxis are attempt form the requirements but not always ride share?
Also ride share is banned in a not insignificant amount of cities.

Bike advert not allowed on TV in France for causing anxiety:

https://youtu.be/kMpqVfnuyII

1 Like

Cars are now adapting the worst thing to ever happen to video games.

Stohl said the issue of tyre and brake pollution is likely to get worse before it gets better as electric cars become more common: “Electric cars are normally heavier than internal combustion engine cars. That means more wear on tyres and brakes.”

Ban cars means ban all cars, even electric ones.

4 Likes