This is Google

We’re already on every other podcast platform. What’s one more?

I get two or three emails per week saying my podcast is now on a new podcast recommendation/aggregation/analytics platform. All I need to do is sign up and claim my podcast and I can see… stats? Not sure. I stopped “claiming” my podcast on these types of thing years ago.

I only register on major sites Apple, Google, Spotify, Amazon, etc. Any small time start-up place is just a scam I stay far away from. They can do whatever they like under the Creative Commons License, but I’m not going to help them.

https://store.google.com/us/category/phones?hl=en-US

Pixel 6 and 6 Pro are here.

It really seems like they are copying the iPhone, but not as good.

Apple has their A/M chips, so Google comes with a chip they are calling Tensor. It might be good, but it doesn’t appear to be as fast as the Apple ones.

They have a fancy new screen with scaling refresh rates, but not as good as the Apple one.

They updated the cameras. Definitely looking good. Hard to say if they are better or worse than Apple ones.

The only thing that makes me go meh is that the camera hump is horizontal and goes across the entire back of the phone. Although, it could be nice for the phone to be at an angle like that if you happen to rest it on a table in front of you.

That’s… Actually good and I’m happy about it. Credit where it’s due, YouTube.

Sounds good to me!

Google’s complete lack of fraud protection on ContentID let someone get away with $20 million, and then the government had to fix it.

If there was justice, the people who that $20 million rightfully belonged to, both musicians and video creators, could sue Google for being so negligent. They chose to create the ContentID system. Nothing in the law requires them to do that. They could simply follow normal DMCA procedures just like most web sites. Because they chose to make the system, they should be held responsible for every single fraudulent claim.

3 Likes

Why?

I’m ambivalent on this except in one instance. A high dislike ratio is useful for seeing which tutorials are out of date at a glance. For that use case alone this could be worth it.

You could also just look at the date the video was posted.

That sometimes works, and sometimes doesn’t. Sometimes folks will do a tutorial on something and do it inefficiently or on older versions of the software or or ya get to the end and it doesn’t do what the title says it does or whatever. I guess what I’m saying is. A high dislike ratio catches not just out of date tutorials but otherwise bad tutorials for one reason or another, at a glance.

It’s not a big deal, worst case you sit through a tutorial that is bad and waste a few minutes.

Legit you’re the first person to gimme a reason that isn’t “I just kinda feel like it should be information I know”

1 Like

And there’s also this…

1 Like

I’m not surprised. Pretty much the only thing they had with legs and much mainstream appeal was Cobra Kai, and Netflix picked that up during/just before season 3.

G Suite free edition. Noooooo

1 Like

Knew it was coming, but they screwed us hard on this. Got no choice but to pay $6/month because of a decision made 16 years ago. I’d be less angry if somehow we got better service than the people using the free version, but we’re not.