The History Thread (Lizi's Dank History Thread)

Damnit, I was gonna quote the line from pulp fiction about “best intentions” (shortly following a fatal gunshot) but honestly… Seems like on balance and in retrospect, he did more good than harm.

Dred Scott was on this day in 1857. Early March is pretty eventful in American history, evidently. Just thought I’d bring this back up.

EDIT: It was '57 not '59.

EDIT 2: Oh jeez today’s also the 199th of the Missouri Compromise. I don’t think I have it in me to write up something for that tho.

EDIT 3 okay very quickly:

https://twitter.com/MolderinJohn/status/1103500145503731712

2 Likes

Oh jeez I forgot it’s Confederate Heritage Month

Oscar Brand is a famous country/folk musician and he recorded an album of Presidential campaign songs from Washington to Clinton. It’s a great listen, containing one of two recordings I’ve found of Hunters of Kentucky, Andrew Jackson’s campaign song (the other being on Bloody Bloody). But this one is my favorite. Andrew Johnson’s “campaign song.” A. Johnson never ran for the Presidency, he was brought in after Lincoln’s assassination and was such a train wreck not even the shambling party that was the Democrats could run him. So instead of a campaign song, Folkways Records put this song on the album. It’s the only song on there that advocates voting against the President, and James Buchanan has a song on that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9UcN_F5gJ8

Ooh, it’s got a nice little ring to it.

1 Like

EDIT I got the wrong paged signed but I still got my copy of Reconstruction America’s Unfinished Revolution signed

4 Likes
2 Likes

We have fun here at @MolerinJohn

1 Like

Hamilton fans will recognize this, but it was also just generally how people signed their letters back then.

2 Likes

On this day in 1812, the Boston Gazette publishes Elkanah Tisdale’s political cartoon criticizing Elbridge Gerry’s redistricting of Massachusetts, coining the term “Gerrymander.”

3 Likes

Heh for the first time I think I see the origin of the (probably allegorical) quote:

“That looks like a salamander.
A Gerrymander!”

Lizi’s family history thread, here’s the stories of my great uncle the chimpanzee told by his younger brother, my grandfather. 16 minutes of gold.

1 Like

Ya know for reasons, I watched the beginning of the panel, explain homestuck to an old guy recently.

Your dad has the coolest first name.

1 Like

Constantine was a compromise between my grandparents. Nick wanted to name him Odo. Ann wanted to name him something that wasn’t Odo.

1 Like

That feels less like a compromise and more like Ann got what she wanted.

Nevertheless going with the name that sounds like the protagonist of an ancient epic is pretty awesome.

1 Like

Today in 1776, Abigail Adams wrote the first piece of American feminism, the Remember the Ladies letter. It’s a good read, and is remembered as a pivotal moment in the foundation of American law. I’m not sure why, because not only are none of her sentiments embodied in this era of politics (in three months Thomas Jefferson would write that all men are created equal), and we can quite clearly see that John Adams had no respect for his wife’s uppity side, writing that embracing her ideals “would compleatly subject Us to the Despotism of the Peticoat,” As an aside, I’m starting a riot grrrl band called The Petticoat Despots.

https://history.hanover.edu/courses/excerpts/165adams-rtl.html

Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If perticuliar care and attention is not paid to the Laidies we are determined to foment a Rebelion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.

I wonder how pissed off John Adams was to have his own rhetoric used against him

It’s gonna be a busy April.

1 Like

Repost for Confederate Heritage Month

2 Likes

@Neito introduced me to History Memes Shitposting on Facebook and this thread will never be the same.

3 Likes