The American Collapse (of Civil Society (non-governmental institutions))

Was this iOS? There’s increasing delay between password failures, so this would take at least an hour and a half of fuckery.

It was not.

Sounds like you need a phone case with a cover. Or a different phone?

Mine has a recessed power button. It can’t be interacted with at all unless that button is pressed.

I definitely need a different phone, though not because of this issue, just cause the phone on which this occured is like 4 or 5 years old at this point.

It’s power button is not recessed, it’s along it’s edge and I don’t use a case.

Also, not tooting my horm, more like poking fun. I’ve had the same phone for like 4 years. Never even once cracked a screen.

With an iOS device you can rapidly press the power button 5 times to disable TouchID and FaceID, forcing actual passphrase entry to unlock. This means you can safely have a ridiculous passphrase, but use one of the less secure authentication mechanisms most of the time for unlocking your phone.

Then if you are crossing a border or otherwise in a tight spot, press the power button five times. If you have enough advance notice of a need for greater security, you can just go to the settings and disable the touch/face ID completely. Also, if you simply turn the device off completely, it will need a full passphrase to unlock when it powers back on.

Be careful with this. This (maybe with iOS 12?) triggers Emergency SOS mode, which by default fires off a klaxon and starts a very short countdown to call emergency services. You can turn off the autocall and klaxon in Settings. As a side effect, it also requires the passcode to unlock afterward.

I’m poorly thinking this through, but if some border agent fires off a klaxon and calls the police while trying to rifle through your phone. Good. Maybe they won’t go through any more phones for a while.

It’s presumably something you’d do before approaching security, not something they’d do to lock themselves out of your phone.

Ah, damn. My poorly thought through plan turned out to be poorly thought through.

I tested, and since I disabled auto call this does not happen. It does bring up a screen where I can easily make an emergency call, though.

Android starting with Pie (9.0) has lockdown mode available from the power button menu. Hides all notifications and turns off all biometrics.

1 Like

Speaking as someone who regularly gets given shit at US borders, the context of the conversation here is vaguely reminiscent of preppers.

1 Like

In this case it would be better to just use the FaceID, even if about to get searched:

1 Like

Perhaps the most relevant thing I’ve ever posted.

Speaking of depressing…

Twilight of the Racist Uncles: How Facebook is melting the minds of our elders

“Lamenting our older relatives’ journey down the rabbit hole of right-wing paranoia and vituperation feels, at times, like my generation’s version of having the big talk about putting Nana in a nursing home. “Losing a parent” has dual meanings for us after 2016. We’re dealing with the loss of people who are very much alive—but who have become such chaotic stews of anger, persecution complexes, racism, and half-assed conspiracy theories that they can no longer hold a normal conversation.”

Not to make this about partisan politics, but for those types of things where parents grow more angry and xenophobic as a function of time and right wing news consumption, I really liked the suggestion here a while back about using child controls on them.

I’ve heard that when they’re deprived of their hate drip, they ACTUALLY become worth caring about.

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USADM5Gk9Gs

I mean, while I agree with this guy on some levels, he doesn’t provide concrete analysis or any real content, compared to Sarah Kendzior, for example. I feel like the video is a well manicured (piano over americana and evocative imagery) self-congratulatory old-white-male-journalist shaking his fist at an assortment of clouds.

I agree with him when he mentions a-historicity, elimination of empathy & critical thought as social virtues, corporate deregulation/government corruption, and repackaging of culture (although I would argue consumerist culture as opposed to pop culture). I disagree with his claim that hedonism, dominant visual media, lack of “service” are problems – I think they are more symptomatic. The hollowing, homogenization, and commercialization of culture & community are false calories that create a continuous hunger for meaning, and fuel the engine of our economy.

1 Like

Corruption means we can never trust the system.

3 Likes