The American Collapse (of Civil Society (non-governmental institutions))

For 2 years now, the clock is at 2 minutes to midnight, the latest it’s ever been.

Few things:

This falls under the category of videos that could and should have been an article. I’d have rather read this.

I’m stretching the definition of the word collapse here. If america still is named that and has the same government but is more police state-y has it collapsed?

I argue yes but I can definitely see why some would argue no.

It’s quite interesting talk of revolution or collapse these days always have that elephant in the room about how the state has more might and more tools to use against the masses than ever before. Those tools make it ever easier for less and less people to resist the efforts of more and more.

This is just some more details about one of those tools. Others that spring to mind are location tracking via your cell phone and the mass surveillance we learned about in the Snowden leaks.

This is my representative. I voted for this person in the general election, but not in the primaries. Things you need to know:

• She said some anti-vaxx stuff, but hasn’t said anything about it recently. Maybe learned she was wrong or learned to keep her mouth shut. Ironically, the one time I saw her at a climate related event she was exasperated at climate deniers who refused to believe in science.
  • Is definitely a Democrat who wants to get rid of Trump way bad, but isn’t super lefty like Bernie or AOC.
  • She is wealthy and has mad real estate money.
  • Is old and might not be that healthy herself, having a health scare at a recent event.
  • Even though her district covers where I live, it also covers the area on the opposite side of the river in Manhattan where most of her support comes from. Affluent Upper East side people.
  • I was watching Lawrence Lessig talk about Aaron Swartz and he mentioned which congresspeople Elsevier donated a lot to in order to support legislation that benefits their evil ways, and her name came up.
1 Like

Great infographic/slideshow detailing just how different Democrat and Republican districts are from each other. No surprises here, but shown in an excellent way:

“When folks have less in common with one another, it’s hard to expect that they’re going to see the problem the same way,” said Roger Johnson, president of the National Farmers Union, “let alone recognize that a problem exists.”

Sigh, I actually quite wanted to read that, not enough to like… figure out how to circumvent their paywall though.

Weird, I was able to read it without having to go through their paywall.

Although now I can’t anymore.

Ah right, more partisan politics in the non-partisan-politics thread.

delete your cookies or go private mode? might be one of those first one free paywalls.
or try googling the article, sometimes they allow redirects from the googly.

1 Like

Good ideas, the google trick did not work, I’m gonna try hunting down their specific cookie rather than deleting all of them, gonna take a bit. Actually incognito should just do that for me. Nah, no dice there either. They want me to sign in or subscribe.

What is partisan about a bunch of infographics showing that Democratic House districts are overwhelmingly better educated, wealthier, and are involved in the “gig” economy as opposed to manufacturing and agriculture?

The article takes no positions, just presents facts.

The word Democrat.

I just imagine a civil war where both sides are actively killing each other, the country clearly collapsed, and you still saying it doesn’t belong in the american collapse thread because one of them wrote conservative on his rifle.

Just because something is labeled as a Democratic versus Republican House Congressional district doesn’t mean it’s about partisan politics. It’s a descriptor, that’s it.

Okay.

“ This is my representative. I voted for this person in the general election, but not in the primaries. Things you need to know:”

Just reminding people that I was hoping this wouldn’t become a generic American politics thread.

I explicitly stated that it was about the collapse of civil society in America, which is, by definition, the collapse of non-governmental institutions.

Civil society can be understood as the “third sector” of society, distinct from government and business, and including the family and the private sphere. By other authors, “civil society” is used in the sense of 1) the aggregate of non-governmental organizations and institutions that manifest interests and will of citizens or 2) individuals and organizations in a society which are independent of the government.”

3 Likes

The whole point of the article I posted is that Democrats and Republicans live in such different areas of the country now, from an economics perspective, that the world they see around them and their daily lived experiences are drastically different from each other.

That lack of a common foundation leads to them not being able to find common solutions to problems, let alone recognize that certain problems even exist.

That leads to the collapse of “civil society.”

There, did I spell it out clearly enough for you?

It’s not political article.

1 Like

I guess this goes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWxbAoOK2o

1 Like

I’d argue this is more in line with Urbanism

breaks out popcorn for local-to-me story

Ah. I was replying to Scott who was talking directly about trump impeachment and quoted him. I couldn’t read the article you posted.

That makes sense. I didn’t realize that.

Sorry for getting a little testy with you.

3 Likes