Tennis (Iga Swiatek Appreciation Thread)

Well, the Netflix documentary team has done it again. I don’t know if I should post in this thread or the TV thread, but their new documentary series Break Point, following a couple up-and-coming tennis stars in 2022 was excellent!

This is now the second time that Netflix has sucked me in and made me care about a second tier sport that I previously had no interest in.

After F1: Drive to Survive, and now Break Point, I’m on board for whatever Netflix does next, whether it’s professional bowling, curling, cricket, whatever. They seem to have figured out the magic formula to make compelling television out of sports.

Highly recommended!

It’s a good show, and I say that as a tennis fan. They certainly got lucky in the tennis players they chose to follow in the various tournaments, to catch the players who had good results in 2022.

Hilariously, the Netflix Curse caught up with all the players featured so far, and today the last of them was knocked out of the Australian Open. I mean, three didn’t even make their first match due to injury.

I really hope the Netflix crew were following other players too, or else next year’s Australian Open show is going to be very disappointing.

https://twitter.com/TheTennisLetter/status/1616479648803848193?s=20&t=Vg8awR58R4TXKZuy00LdlA

1 Like

Apparently this is only Part I of the 2022 tennis season, and in June, Netflix will air Part II, another 5 or so episodes on the second half of the season.

We’ll see how those players do at Wimbledon.

Iga Swiatek keeps breaking records, and although they are weird or obscure records, they all seem to end with “beating even/the best since Graf/Evert/Navratilova”. It’s clear she’s the most dominant player in a looong time.

Sure, she only played three matches to win the Qatar title with only five games dropped, but her next two games in the tournament this week? 6-1 6-1 and 6-1 6-0. Against good players!

Her big winning streak started in Qatari last year, and lasted until Wimbledon in the summer, and I honestly can see her doing the same this year.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/1635722947489935362

That must be some really shitty court.

That’s just Medvedev being Medvedev, meaning he’ll complain all the way until winning the title. I hope he doesn’t change because he’s one of the most entertaining “I hate slow courts” guy on tour at the moment.

Tennis is very good at the moment:

On the men’s side Alcaraz is disrupting the sport with impossible-to-read drop shots:

There hadn’t been a final between the top two ranked women players since 2017, and now it’s happened two tournaments in a row! I’m very much here for the burgeoning Swiatek Sabalenka rivalry!!!

Of all the trains to hop on in the last 3 years, Djokovic has picked:

• Anti-vaxxers
  • Pro-annexing-eastern-European-countries guys

Iga lost a set!!!

But won the French Open a third time anyway.

1 Like

A random Iga domination-of-opponents statistic, which again shows how she’s stacking up against legendary players.

Iga Swiatek has won at least one bagel set at the last 10 straight slams she’s played (2021 Roland Garros - 2023 Wimbledon).

Here’s how that compares to some of the all-time greats and their longest bagel streaks at Slams::

• Serena Williams 5
    (2012 US - 2013 US)
  • Monica Seles 8
    (1990 RG - 1992 RG)
  • Chris Evert 10
    (1975 RG - 1979 RG)
  • Martina Navratilova 11
    (1983 RG - 1985 US)
  • Steffi Graf 13
    (1986 RG - 1989 US)

ALCARAZ

20 years old. Bad guy defeated. Love to see it.

3 Likes

Yup yup yup! My favorite won, though I was kinda hoping for Djokovic to get the Calendar Year Grand Slam, just so I see it happen in my lifetime.

Time to repost my selfie from meeting Carlos when I was on the same flight as him home from Miami last year!!!

3 Likes

Even if playing tennis wasn’t a pain in the ass, I still wouldn’t play because of all the running back and forth.

But I still love that it’s a whole thing here.

Iga retakes the world number one spot in the last WTA tour match of the year, also taking the year-end number one, and winning the year end finals for the first time too. Maybe next year, Sabalenka and/or everyone else!

I don’t know if this should be in Tennis or cheating. I believe we discussed the match fixing gambling scandal before. Five players have been banned after the investigation.

1 Like

Seems there is a good chance the tennis schedule will change to be more like the Formula 1 schedule. I like it.