Tennis (Iga Swiatek Appreciation Thread)

Halep and Wozniaki both have to be happy to shake the best player without a major title this year. Now it’s probably Pliskova or Svitolina.

1 Like

I guess those are the next best players without a slam, and Pliskova was briefly number one, but there isn’t any where near the same kind of pressure compared to Wozniacki and Halep.

Wozniacki was at number one for 71 weeks, which is the 9th longest of all women’s tennis players since the start of the rankings. Compare that to Venus Williams, who spent a total of 11 weeks at number one. Halep has been number one for 31 weeks, 10 more than Sharapova ever managed.

Once Pliskova and Svitolina get up to 30 weeks at number one, then we can start talking about the stigma of not winning a major. For now, with Halep and Wozniacki ticking the box, it’s not really an issue in women’s tennis.

Isner is at it again! Already in the top 5 longest singles matches ever… and it’s still going! Currently 23-23 in the fifth.

1 Like

John Isner now holds the first and third records for longest singles match in tennis history. He won in 2010 but lost in 2018 to Kevin Anderson. What an epic!

11 h 05
Wimbledon 2010, 1st Round: United States John Isner def. France Nicolas Mahut, 6–4, 3–6, 6–7(7–9), 7–6(7–3), 70–68 (3 days).

6 h 43
Davis Cup 2015, 1st Round: Argentina Leonardo Mayer def. Brazil João Souza, 7–6(7–4), 7–6(7–5), 5–7, 5–7, 15–13 (1 day).

6 h 36
Wimbledon 2018, Semifinals: South Africa Kevin Anderson def. United States John Isner, 7-6(8-6), 6-7(5-7), 6-7(9-11), 6-4, 26-24 (1 day).

OMG, I have to watch this game later.

1 Like

Turns out this tweet is already out of date. In set two Halep only made ONE MORE unforced error, for a total of three for the entire match. That’s insanely good tennis!

1 Like

https://leonardofed.io/blog/nadal-game.html

Andy Murray in January:

Andy Murray in October:

To come back from major hip surgery and win a title within 10 months is pretty incredible. The wonders of modern medicine! Also, the wonders of being easily one of the top 10 players of all time. I guess both things have to go together.

Ah yes, the perfect conditions to start a Grand Slam tournament:

Yeah, the constant one-upsmanship between Sydney and Melbourne is getting absurd.

More seriously, one player has already collapsed and been forced to retire, because she couldn’t play with all the smoke.

Novak is canceled.

Yikes. I don’t know much about tennis’ governance structure, can tournaments bar him from competing?

He is the current world number one player, and on the players’ council of the Association of Tennis Professionals. He’s the biggest money earner in tennis history. There isn’t anyone who could ban him for something like this.

If he was caught doping, then sure, but not for being an idiot.

Though it’s funny that Djokovic is super into medical science when it comes to oxygen machines to help him recover and get conditioned for future tournaments (machines that are now banned) but not into science when it comes to vaccines. If vaccines helped him win tennis matches, he’d be all for them.

One could argue that they do help him win. If he gets a virus, he won’t be able to compete. Also, until we have a vaccine, all the major tournaments will probably be canceled, and he’s only getting older. Lack of vaccine very likely keeps more than one trophy off his shelf.

1 Like
1 Like

Welp

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

I was just coming to the forum to share this. He’s such a fucking idiot. He organised an entire tournament tour with zero social distancing, ball crews on court with the players, handshakes at the net, and there are photos of the players out dancing in night clubs.

I said a few posts ago:

Those were about him saying dangerous stuff. Now he’s doing dangerous stuff, and Dimitrov is ill and others have tested positive (though asymptomatic).

I don’t see him staying president of the players council for long. The other players won’t stand by it. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls out of the US Open, maybe so save face for being uninvited.

Isn’t the US Open um… open? Like, the opposite of an invitational? It says a lot just how bad he is to get uninvited from an open.